Potato Pancake Recipe
Potato pancakes are made with potatoes, onion, egg, all-purpose flour and seasonings. They are crispy on the outside and soft in the center, which tastes fantastic when served with sour cream.
They are popular in Russia, one of the staples or Russians, just like blinis.
This is an easy homemade potato pancake recipe; it is perfect for a quick meal for a busy day. It is also popular as a tasty side dish or appetizer for dinner. What’s more, it takes only 20 minutes to prepare.
Other Potato Recipes You Might Like
What Are the Ingredients of Potato Pancakes?
Potato pancake is easy to make and calls for simple ingredients:
- Russet potatoes
- Yellow onion
- All-purpose flour
- Ground black pepper
You will also need cooking oil for pan-frying the pancakes, and sour cream to serve.
How to Make Potato Pancakes?
First, grate the peeled potatoes and onion in a bowl. Whisk the egg and sift all-purpose flour. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set it aside.
Heat a frying pan or skillet with oil on medium-high. Scoop the potato pancake mixture into the pan, flatten, and round the pancake with the back of the spoon. Fry each side for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Place the fried potato pancakes on the plate lined with towel papers to absorb the excess oil. Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream.
Since the potatoes are starchy and oxidized quickly, rinse and drain the grated potatoes before combining them with other ingredients. This step makes a crispy exterior instead of a soggy crust.
Shallow-fry the pancakes on medium-high heat; add more oil if needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Goes Well with the Potato Pancakes?
It is delightful to enjoy potato pancakes with sour cream or applesauce, which enhances the flavors in your mouth.
Can I Make Potato Pancakes with Mashed Potatoes?
Yes, you can make the batter with mashed potatoes by using a blender. Combine it with the same ingredients in the recipe. The end result will be softer.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is 325 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve these potato pancakes as a meal or as an appetizer. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 1 lb. medium-sized potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 large egg
- 1 small yellow onion (grated)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper ot to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Chopped parsley (for garnishing)
- Grate the peeled potatoes in a bowl. Rinse and drain the grated potatoes before combining them with grated onion and egg. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Whisk the mixture together. Sift all-purpose flour and add to the mixture, stir to mix well.
- Heat a skillet with oil on medium-high. Drop about two tablespoons of the potato mixture into the skillet and flatten it with the back of the spoon. Fry each side of the potato pancake for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dish out the potato pancakes to a plate lined with paper towels, serve warm with sour cream on the side. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.