Smashed Potaotes Recipe
These salty, golden-brown, crunchy and crispy smashed potatoes are the best potatoes ever!
This easy recipe calls for only five (5) ingredients and it takes 10 minutes active time to make this side dish.
If you are tired of the same old roasted potatoes, try these smashies. I guarantee that you will fall in love with them as they are so delicious and addictive.
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Make Smashed Potatoes?
It’s so easy and quick to make this recipe. You don’t even have to boil the potatoes. Just use microwave to cook the potatoes.
Arrange the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and smash them. Bake in the oven until both sides are crispy.
Cook’s Tips to Make the Potatoes Extra Crispy
- Use a rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the olive oil on the baking sheet. The oil will cook and sizzle the potatoes in the oven.
- Roast the potatoes on the floor of the oven. The floor of the oven is the hottest part of the oven and the direct contact of heat will make your potatoes extra crispy with crunchy edges.
- DO NOT place the baking sheet on the rack.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Smash Potatoes and What Kitchen Tools to Use?
You can use the heel of your hand to smash the baby potatoes.
You don’t really need a kitchen tool, however, a stainless steel wire masher will work just fine.
For me, I love using a flat bottom cup to smash them. It’s so easy and my hand will be clean.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 168 calories per serving.
What to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with a main dish. For a healthy meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 1/2 lb. (0.6 kg) baby potatoes (the smallest you can find)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Fill the bottom of a large microwave-safe bowl with 1/2-inch of water. Put the potatoes in it and cover with plastic wrap. Poke the wrap a few times with a fork. Microwave on high heat for 10 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and can be easily pierced through with a fork. Microwave for a few more minutes if they are still hard.
- Remove and uncover the wrap. Drain and cool the potatoes until just warm. Pour the oil onto a large rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle the oil with 3/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet and smash them into rounds using flat-bottom cup or the heel of your hand. Sprinkle the top of the potatoes with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Put the baking sheet on the floor of the oven (bottom part and not on the rack) and roast until the undersides are crispy but not burnt, about 12-15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use a flat spatula or turner to flip the potatoes. Roast for another 10-15 minutes until the other sides are crispy. Remove from the oven, transfer the smashed potatoes to a serving platter, garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Adapted from: Cravings Hungry for More by Chrissy Teigen.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 168Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gSodium 589mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 2g