Pasta is the easiest homemade weeknight dinner for the entire family.
Home cooks loves easy Italian pasta recipes because it’s quick, healthy and made with a few ingredients.
Easy Pasta Recipes You Might Like
One Pot Pasta
How do you cook pasta and sauce in one pot or one pan?
One pot pasta is a time saver because the pasta is cooked right in the sauce, in your pot or pan.
This recipe yields delicious pasta as the spaghetti noodles soak up all the goodness of the ingredients.
This easy pasta recipes is quick and ready in 20 minutes.
It’s also one of the best pasta dishes ever!
How to Make One Pot Pasta?
How do you actually cook pasta and sauce together in one cookware?
First, add the following recipe ingredients into a pot:
- Onion, garlic and tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Uncooked spaghetti
Next, cover the pot and cook the spaghetti until al dente and serve immediately.
There is only one pot or pan to clean up after the meal, making this one of easiest homemade pasta recipes ever!
Which Pasta is Best for One Pot Pasta?
You should use spaghetti as they will get cooked evenly.
Angel hair will work well too but you might want to cut down the cooking time by 1 – 2 minutes.
Thicker pasta like fettucine is not a great choice because they are thicker and harder to cook through.
Pot or Pan?
For the cookware, you can use a pot, for example: a Dutch oven, or a wide soup pot.
I like to use my skillet for pan pasta. For the best results, make sure your cookware is wide enough for the spaghetti noodles.
If not, break the spaghetti into halves so they are covered by the sauce while cooking.
If the pot or pan is too narrow, the pasta will not get cooked properly.
This is one of the best homemade Italian pasta recipes.
For the best result, please follow the cooking tips below:
- You can use a pot, pan or skillet for this recipe. I recommend a non-stick pot, pan or skillet to avoid the dry spaghetti from sticking to the bottom of the cookware.
- If you use a stainless steel cookware, remember to use the spatula to flip up the spaghetti so they don’t stick to the bottom.
- Add more chicken broth if the sauce dries up and the spaghetti is not fully cooked.
- For tomatoes, I recommend Campari tomatoes as they are juicier, sweeter and less acidic, making the Campari’s a top choice for this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Freeze Leftover Pasta?
Trust me, there will be no leftovers.
However, in case you do, you can freeze the leftover spaghetti pasta in the refrigerator.
You may keep the leftovers in a plastic container, plastic bag, or a pasta bowl covered with shrink wrap.
To eat, reheat the leftover spaghetti in the microwave for 1 minute before serving.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 223 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Pasta Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz. fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian basil
- 8 oz. spaghetti
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- Heat oil in a wide skillet, pan or pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, saute 3 minutes or until they start to brown. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, Italian basil and spaghetti.
- Press the spaghetti with a spatula to submerge the pasta in the liquid. If your skillet, pan or pot is not wide enough, break the spaghetti into halves before cooking. Cover with the lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 8 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. If the pasta is not cooked after 8 minutes, add a little bit more chicken broth, cover the lid and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Uncover the lid and add salt. Turn off the heat and top the pasta with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.
Watch the cooking video on this page for step-by-step guide.
You may add shrimp and spinach to the pasta, if you like.
Amount Per Serving Calories 223Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 6mgSodium 690mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 8g