I am a bad passenger, airlines don’t like me.
I am a magazine hog who snatches every in-flight magazine, pile them up in my seat, never return them back to the rack, and then I rip off interesting pages on these magazines. (Oops, did I just confess my dirty secrets?!)
Yes, I am one of those passengers that flight attendants and fellow passengers sneer at, especially when they hear the suspicious noise as I tear off pages.
I really can’t help it. I am addicted to magazines; I can’t sleep on planes; and I absolutely CANNOT resist mouthwatering food and recipes on magazines. They whisper “tear me tear me” in my ears, I swear.
This pound cake is the result of the above acts. It’s a classic pound cake recipe on Better Homes and Garden, May 2009 issue.
The pound cake photos look velvety, deliciously dense, moist, and just perfect. I had to tear the pages off and try the pound cake recipe at home. Sorry airline!
My pound cake turned out quite good. It was a good pound cake recipe.
Here is my adapted pound cake recipe. Happy baking!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 158 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (8 oz.) unsalted butter
- 8 oz. (226 g) cold cream cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces (2 cm)
- 2 1/2 cups fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 3 cups sifted cake flour or 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Butter and lightly flour your 8x4x2 inch (20x10x1 cm) loaf pans or one 10-inch (25 cm) tube pan, I used a mini loaf pan and makes 4 loaves
- Beat the butter on low speed for 2 minutes and add cream cheese. Beat on low speed for 3 minutes until well-blended. While beating, add sugar, salt, and vanilla and turn the speed to medium speed for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Then, add eggs one at a time and continue beating.
- Turn the speed to low before adding the flour. Beat the batter until well blended and smooth. Transfer batter into the pan. Shake pan gently to distribute the batter. Run a spatula in zigzag pattern through the batter and then top with sliced almonds.
- Place on the pan in the center rack of a cold oven and bake at 300°F (148°F) for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out dry. If you are using a tube pan, bake for 1 hour 45 minutes. Transfer the pound cake to a cooling rack for about 10 minutes before removing from pans and serving.
Proper creaming is critical for a perfect pound cake. Creaming is the process of blending the butter and sugar together to incorporate air and it usually takes about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. So, don't cheat like I did.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 158Total Fat 155gSaturated Fat 85gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 859mgSodium 1733mgCarbohydrates 396gFiber 6gSugar 255gProtein 50g