Sweet Potato Balls Recipe
Sweet potato ball is an amazing snack available in Malaysia, in the morning or afternoon market. They are commonly sold by street vendors.
Called “番薯旦” in Chinese, they are made with sweet potatoes, flour and sugar.
They are usually coated with sesame seeds and deep-fried. You can find similar versions in Indonesia and Thailand.
These taste of home sweet treats were my favorite childhood food, ones that I grew up eating. They are great as munchies for breakfast or afternoon tea.
Making them at home brings back lots of sweet childhood memories to me!
How to Make Fried Sweet Potato Balls?
Making these sweet dough balls are very easy. First, boil the sweet potatoes until the inside is cooked through.
Next, peel off the skin and keep the sweet potatoes. Mash and combine well with flour, sugar and water to form a dough.
Roll the dough into balls and coat them with sesame seeds. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of Sweet Potatoes To Use?
As a general rule of thumb, you should use the sweet potatoes with pale yellow color flesh inside.
This type of potatoes make the best sweet potato balls. Avoid using orange or purple color sweet potatoes.
Can I Use Air Fryer To Make this Recipe?
Absolutely. Use air fryer to make healthy sweet potato balls that are not deep-fried.
Just follow the method in the recipe card and fry in an air fryer. However, you can’t oven baked.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 264 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve them as appetizers or snacks, with other Malaysian sweet or savory treats.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 - 2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- oil, for deep frying
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Boil the sweet potatoes in hot boiling water for 15 minutes, or until the inside is cooked through. Peel the skin off and discard. Smash the sweet potatoes.
- Add the mashed sweet potatoes with flour, sugar, and water to form a dough that is not sticky to the hands.
- Divide the dough into small, equal portions and roll them into balls. Roll the sweet potato balls with sesame seeds.
- Heat up a shallow pot with 2-3 inches oil. When the oil is fully heated, deep fry the sweet potato balls until golden brown. Dish out and drain well on paper towels. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 264Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gSodium 64mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 5gSugar 17gProtein 5g