Pineapple Bun (Polo Bun/菠蘿包)June 24th, 2011Recipes, Baking Recipes, Recipes, Chinese Recipes, Recipes28 Comments
Pineapple Bun (Boroh Bun/菠蘿包)
Makes 15 buns
For the Bun:
500g bread flour
2TBSP milk powder
60g fine sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
80g powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 large egg (lightly beaten)
200g all purpose flour
1 egg (lightly beaten and sieve)
1 Tbsp water
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk powder and yeast till combine.
- Add water and egg to flour mixture and use a dough hook to knead on medium speed till combine. (about 5 minutes)
- Gradually add in butter and knead till smooth and elastic. (dough should be shining and elastic, kneading time is about 10-15minutes).
- Leave dough to proof for about 40 minutes or double in size.
- While dough is proofing, prepare the pastry topping.
For the topping:
- Beat butter, vanilla essence and sieved powdered sugar till light.
- Add in egg.
- Fold in flour.
- Refrigerate the dough in the fridge for 15-20 mins for easier handling.
To make the bun:
- Scale the bread dough into 50g each and mold into a ball.
- Leave to proof for about 45minutes or double in size. Glaze it with egg wash.
- Divide the topping into 20-30g each. On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin and roll it out thinly into a circle.
- Gently put the pastry topping on to of the glazed bun. Glaze again.
- Bake at 210 Celsius for 12-15 minutes.