Coconut and Chili Kerabu Salad: My version is all raw, so it’s super quick to make. It tastes fantastic with any grilled meat or fish and works beautifully with a creamy S.E. Asian curry.
Today, we have a guest post from rising celebrity chef John Gregory Smith who is based in London.
He is a cookbook author and also a TV chef, with a new YouTube Hungry show.
John and I connected a few years ago when he was on a spice trip to Penang and joined my brother’s Penang Culinary Tour.
Anyway, John has a few cooking segments on YouTube Hungry and I just love watching him, listening to his perfect English accent (swoon).
Please welcome John to Rasa Malaysia with his Malaysian Coconut and Chili Kerabu salad.
You can check out his cooking video of this kerabu salad here.
After a busy day eating Dim Sum in Chowrasta market in Chinatown and delicious roti canai in Little India we stopped off for a proper meal at a wonderful restaurant called Minah.
Minah was a typical Malay style restaurant, where fabulous food was cooked and presented buffet style.
We ate so well; grilled fish with a tamarind dip, rich beef rendang, Ulam salad that had juicy cucumber and pineapple and lastly a wonderful beansprout salad – Kerabu.
It was crunchy, hot and so delicious and worked so well with the beef curry, absorbing all the rich flavours.
My version is all raw, so it’s super quick to make.
It tastes fantastic with any grilled meat or fish and works beautifully with a creamy S.E. Asian curry.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 72 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 1/4 cups bean sprouts
- 1/2 red chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1- inch (2 cm) piece gingerroot, peeled
- To make the dressing, whisk the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar together in a large bowl. Grate the gingerroot into the bowl, discarding the fibrous bits, and mix well.
- Scatter the onion over the dressing and mix well, then set aside 5 to 10 minutes. This takes the rawness out of the onion.
- Meanwhile, toast the coconut in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring continuously, 30 to 40 seconds until the coconut turns a lovely golden brown. Tip it onto a plate and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, add the red pepper, bean sprouts, red chili and mint to the onion mixture and toss until all the ingredients are well coated. Transfer to a serving bowl, scatter the roasted coconut over the top and serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 72Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gSodium 1429mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 9gProtein 3g