I would like to introduce you to a new intern/contributor, my fellow Penangite Ho Siew Loon. Siew Loon is introduced through a mutual friend and is passionate about preserving and sharing the beautiful Nyonya cuisine; she is also a fantastic Nyonya kuih maker and an experienced baker (she makes a mean layer cake!)—an area I am not particularly strong at. Please welcome Siew Loon to Nyonya Food and kindly leave her your warm comments! Thanks.
Thank you Rasa Malaysia for giving me the opportunity to be a guest writer on this wonderful blog.
Growing up in Penang where there is a strong Nyonya presence till today, nyonya kuih is a sweet delicacy that would always have a special place in my heart. It comes in different shapes, textures and colors. One of my favorite is the kuih kosui…
Kuih kosui is a saucer shaped rice cake flavored with pandan (screwpine leaves) juice. A lot of pandan is used to bring out the aroma of this kuih. A good kuih kosui is rich in pandan aroma and have a springy and soft texture. It is best eaten with freshly grated coconut.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 336 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 16 oz water
- 10 oz sugar
- 12-15 pandan leaves
- 21 oz water
- 1 tablespoon alkaline water, lye water
- 6 oz rice flour
- 2 oz tapioca flour
- To make the syrup, melt the sugar in water over low fire until sugar dissolves . Set aside to cool.
- Cut pandan leaves into small peices. Combine pandan leaves and water in an electric blender. Blend for 1-2 minutes. Strain the pandan juice through a fine sieve. Add alkaline water into pandan juice. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add rice flour and tapioca flour. Slowly pour in the pandan juice mixture while stirring it consistently till well blended. Add in syrup.
- Cook flour mixture on low fire till slightly thickened. Remove from fire and pour into little teacups.Steam on high fire for 15 minutes. Take the kuih out immediately.
- Leave to cool for at least 6 hrs before removing the kuih from the little teacups.
- Serve with fresh grated coconut.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 336Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gSodium 19mgCarbohydrates 156gFiber 1gSugar 94gProtein 3g