Kuih Kosui Recipe
Growing up in Penang where there is a strong Nyonya presence, Nyonya kuih is a sweet delicacy that would always have a special place in my heart.
My late grandmother was a famed Nyonya kuih maker. I grew up watching her and my late aunt preparing trays upon trays of freshly steamed Nyonya kuih.
Nyonya kuih comes in different shapes, forms, textures and colors. One of my favorite is the kuih kosui.
Kuih kosui is a saucer shaped rice cake flavored with pandan (screwpine leaves) juice.
A lot of pandan is used to bring out the aroma of this kuih.
A good kuih kosui is rich in pandan aroma and have a springy and soft texture. It is best eaten with freshly grated coconut.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 336 calories per serving.
What to Serve with This Recipe?
There are many types of kuih in Malaysia. If you wish to try making kuih at home, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 10 oz. (283 g) sugar
- 16 oz. (473 ml) water
- 12-15 Pandan leaves
- 21 oz. (621 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon lye water (kansui)
- 6 oz. (170 g) rice flour
- 2 oz. (56 g) tapioca flour
- To make the syrup, melt the sugar in water over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the Pandan leaves into small pieces. Combine the Pandan leaves and water in an electric blender. Blend for 1-2 minutes. Strain the Pandan juice through a fine sieve. Add the lye water into the Pandan juice. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add the rice flour and tapioca flour. Slowly pour in the Pandan juice mixture while stirring it consistently until well blended. Add the syrup.
- Cook the flour mixture on low fire until slightly thickened. Remove the mixture from heat and pour into little tea cups. Steam on high heat for 15 minutes. Take the Kuih Kosui out immediately.
- Leave to cool for at least 6 hours at room temperature before removing the Kuih Kosui from the teacups.
- To serve, add fresh grated coconut on top of the Kuih Kosui.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 336Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gSodium 19mgCarbohydrates 156gFiber 1gSugar 94gProtein 3g