What is a Popover?
Popovers are airy, light, hollow and delicious rolls made from an egg and milk batter.
They are baked in popover pans or mini popover pans, but you can also use muffin pans for popovers. These Parmesan-chive popovers are savory, cheesy with a garlicky chive flavors.
I am addicted to popovers. After my successful attempt of mini popovers with strawberry butter, I am constantly in search of another popover recipe, and this Parmesan-Chive Popovers recipe from Food52 is it!
I love the combination of cheese and garlicky chives in these popovers. They instantly turn the plain popovers into savory rolls.
The Parmesan cheese adds a tint of saltiness, and the chives lend an earthy and garlicky note to the popovers.
You don’t need strawberry butter to go with these popovers. They can be eaten as is.
If you like, you can certainly spread some butter on them. They are absolutely amazing as a roll; they are also less filling, with a hollow center.
There is a difference between popovers and yorkshire pudding, even though the recipe is quite similar. Yorkshire puddings are certainly more substantial and usually served with beef and gravy.
Popovers are lighter, airy, light and can be served sweet or savory. Either way, they are both delicious.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 196 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 10 oz. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat a 12-cup popover pan or muffin tin with some melted butter, oil or baking spray.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs and butter in a large bowl until blended. Add the all-purpose flour, salt, black pepper, Parmesan cheese, chives and mix well.
- Place the empty pan in the oven to heat for 7 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven and fill the cups evenly with the batter. (Transfer batter to a liquid measuring cup for easy pouring into the pan.)
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Continue baking until the popovers are deep golden brown, about 15 - 18 more minutes. Cool briefly in the pan. Serve warm.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 196Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 204mgSodium 508mgCarbohydrates 61gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 19g