I have never paid much attention to scones–I don’t even remember the last time I had them, but it all changed when I was on my cruise vacation. Being on a giant ship 24 hours x 9 days—mostly sea bound—means that the best past time on board was to eat.
Every afternoon, I had scones for my afternoon tea, and of course, a crepe or two. And then one fine day, I fathomed that scones are such great things to eat—under the shade on the deck overlooking the azure blue sea—over a cup of tea or tea.
So, that was how I discovered them and marked the start of my love affair with scones, especially raisin scones. I have always loved raisins and in this recipe, raisins give that extra sweetness and add moisture to the scones.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 655 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1 beaten egg yolk for egg wash
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and then follow by the egg and vanilla. Add in the milk slowly. If the dough becomes too sticky, stop adding the milk, instead add a little more flour to form the dough. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. Add in the raisins.
- Roll out the dough on floured surface to 3/4-inch (1 cm) thickness. Using a 2-inch (5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out the scones. Gather the scraps; reroll and cut out additional scones. Place the scones on prepared baking sheets, spacing apart.
- Brush egg yolk over the tops of the scones. Bake scones until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
If the dough is too sticky, add more flour to the dough.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 655Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 15gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 152mgSodium 397mgCarbohydrates 96gFiber 4gSugar 19gProtein 11g