Steamed Shrimp Wontons
While many people enjoy crispy fried wontons, many have also asked for a good steamed wonton recipe. I love these shrimp wontons because they include my favorite protein, shrimp.
Shrimp is such a versatile choice for many recipes, and I especially enjoy how they taste in these wontons.
Delicious Shrimp Wontons
I rummaged through my fridge today and found some leftover wonton skins and whipped up these wontons with dipping sauces: ginger vinegar sauce. They were simply delicious.
I love steamed wontons because it makes them extremely juicy, and you can really taste the filling.
Changing Steamed Wontons to Baked or Fried
If you would like to change the shrimp wontons to the popular baked version, you can fold these wontons into triangles and bake them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for around 5-7 minutes on a baking sheet.
You can go ahead and deep fry these wontons too for around 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to burn them, because they fry super fast!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 256 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with ginger and vinegar sauce.
For a complete wonton feast, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3/4 lb. (0.2 kg) shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- 1 pack wonton wrapper
- 1 egg, beaten, for sealing wontons
- Coarsely chop the shrimp into pieces (not too small) and mix well with the rest of the ingredients. Set aside. Fill each wonton wrapper with about 1 heaping teaspoon of the shrimp filling. Seal the edges of each wonton wrapper with the beaten egg.
- Boil the wontons in boiling water for a couple of minutes or until they float to the top or steam the shrimp wontons for about 6-8 minutes in a steamer. Serve hot with ginger vinegar dipping sauce.
Ginger Vinegar Dipping Sauce Recipe Ingredients: 2 teaspoons peeled, grated fresh ginger 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons dark vinegar, 1 tablespoon chopped scallionMethod: Mix the above ingredients and set aside.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 256Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 470mgSodium 2503mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 36g