It’s scorching hot in the United States now and the weather map is seeing RED and ORANGE all across the continent! In hot weather like this, I turn to shaved ice to cool down my body and quench my thirst. Here is the Taiwanese shaved ice with fresh fruits recipe in my cookbook “Easy Chinese Recipes.”
In recent years, shaved ice has certainly gained popularity here, with many Chinese, Taiwanese dessert shops sprouting up all over Chinatown or Asian suburbs. You don’t have to live in one of those ares to enjoy this refreshing, cooling, and soothing desserts. I really love this simple shaved ice recipe: icy cold, flavored with syrup and topped with an assortment of fruits you like. It is excellent for blistering hot summer days.
I don’t have a shave ice machine but a regular blender will do even though the texture is not as fine. If you have a shaver by all means use it so the texture is snowy and fine. Add more and a variety of different toppings as you wish: fruits, red bean, boba…the more the merrier.
Have a great weekend!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 385 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 4 cups ice cubes or crushed ice
- 4 tablespoons condensed milk or evaporated milk
Syrup: (yields about 8 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1 cup diced kiwi
- 4 strawberries, sliced into pieces
- Heat up a saucepan over medium heat and bring the ingredients in the Syrup to a boil, stirring continuously. Turn off the heat as soon as the dark brown sugar dissolves. Set aside and let cool.
- Shave the ice cubes or crushed ice in a blender. Divide the shaved ice equally into 4 ice cream cups. Add 1 tablespoon condensed milk and 2 tablespoons syrup into each shaved ice. Top each shaved ice with 1/4 portion of diced mango, 1/4 portion kiwi, and 1/4 portion of strawberry. Serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 385Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 6mgSodium 47mgCarbohydrates 88gFiber 4gSugar 73gProtein 5g