The perfect summer treat is a pie baked right at home.
Fragrant and delicious, a pie is a great way to use all those berries harvested during the hot summer months.
I particularly like blackberries, raspberries and blueberries, which are used to prepare this Triple Berry Pie.
But you can use any variation of berries you prefer.
For the crust, I decided to go with a shortening-based recipe.
I like butter, but I find shortening creates a flakier result.
I also suggest filling a glass with water and ice cubes to ensure the water is as cold as possible.
This will help you make pea-sized crumbs directed in the recipe.
If by chance you decide frozen berries are the way to go, make sure you allow the pie to bake longer.
You’ll definitely want to surround the pie initially with foil to bake the full time.
Then remove the foil to bake the pie for 30-40 more minutes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 376 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, (240 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (2.5 mL)
- 2/3 cup shortening, (125 g)
- 6 tablespoons ice-cold water, (30 mL)
- 4 1/2 cups fresh berries, (675 g)
- 1/2 cup sugar, (100 g)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, (22.5 g)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water, (15 mL)
- In a bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Use a fork to cut the shortening into the flour until pea-sized crumbs form. Add the water, 2 tablespoons at a time, and mix until a dough forms. Divide the dough in half, form into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap to store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Fill a separate bowl with the berries, sugar and cornstarch, and toss until the berries are evenly coated. Set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface and with a floured pin, roll out the dough to 12-inch circles. Place one crust into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate, fill with the berry mixture and top with the other pie crust, using the design of choice. Trim the dough to 1 inch past the pie plate. Tuck the ends under the bottom crust and pinch or crimp to seal. Cut vents, as needed.
- Whisk the egg and water together. Use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash to the pie crust.
- Bake the pie for 50-55 minutes or until the crust is golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
If the pie crust begins to brown too quickly, use foil to cover the edges of the crust.
Serving Size8 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 376Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 4gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 20mgSodium 156mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 3gSugar 19gProtein 4g