FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR EASY DELICIOUS RECIPES EVERY DAY!
Thai Panang Curry with Beef Recipe (Kaeng Phanaeng Neua)
1 lb beef, sliced into about 1/4-inch thick (I use chuck roast here)
5 tablespoons oil
3 kaffir lime leaves, thinly shredded
16 oz coconut cream (or coconut milk)
1 tablespoon palm sugar (or sugar)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
fish sauce, salt and sugar to taste
Panang Curry Spice Paste:
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon water
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2-inch galangal, chopped
1 lemongrass (use white part only), cut into 2-inch length
1 tablespoon cilantro stems (or roots)
2 clove garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons red-skin roasted peanuts
1 teaspoon shrimp paste (or Belacan)
1. Blend all the Spice ingredients into a smooth paste.
2. Heat up oil in a wok, stir-fry kaffir lime leaves for 30 seconds. Mix in the Spice paste and continue to stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Turn the heat to medium and continue stir-frying until the oil slightly separates.
3. Add the beef in and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Mix in the coconut cream and give it a quick fry for 1-2 minutes. Add in the palm sugar, fish sauce, stir well and cover the wok.
5. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the meat is thoroughly cooked, tender enough to your liking. Salt or fish sauce, and sugar to taste. Add some water if you prefer it saucier than a gravy-soup-like texture, or when it appears bit dry. Dish up and serve with hot steamed Jasmine rice.