Jungle curry is a popular and spicy Thai curry made with no coconut milk. You can make pork or chicken jungle curry with this easy recipe.
It tastes different because it’s not as “creamy” and sweet without coconut milk added in the curry, and hence the spices taste more pronounced.
And then I discovered Thai curries, which are rather different, but delicious nonetheless.
Ingredients for Thai Jungle Curry
- Red Curry Paste
- Fish Sauce
- Bamboo Shoots
- Baby Corn
- String Beans
- Basil Leaves
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does Curry Taste Like?
Curry is unique and gets its name due to the combination of both savory and sweet spices. Additionally, there is usually an amount of spiciness in curry. This is made by the type and amount of pepper used.
How Many Calories?
This recipe has 351 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This dish is best served with white rice. For a wholesome Thai meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 pack (1.76 oz. /50 g) red curry paste (see picture below)
- 2-3 slices galanga (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon rhizome, optional
- 1 pound (0.4kg) pork, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoot
- 1/2 cup canned baby corn
- 1/2 cup canned straw mushroom
- 8-10 string beans, cut in to 2" length
- 6 kaffir leaves
- 15 basil leaves
- Heat up a wok and add in the water, red curry paste, galanga and rhizome (optional). Stir to combine until boiling.
- Add the pork and let it cook for 1 minute. Add the fish sauce and sugar. Stir to mix. Gently transfer the bamboo shoot, baby corn, straw mushroom, string beans and kaffir leaves into the wok. Stir to mix.
- Cover the wok and bring to boil. Turn the heat to medium and let it cook for 5-6 minutes. Add in the basil leaves. Give it a quick stir and cook for 2 minutes. Serve with rice.
Rhizome is optional but may enhance the flavor of this dish. 2. This is the red curry paste I used for this recipe.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 135Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 180mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 11gSugar 13gProtein 8g