Red curry is probably my favorite Thai curry. First of all, the red color is so inviting. Secondly, I just love the rich taste and ingredients used in red curry paste.
The red curry sauce is great with all kinds of proteins, for example: chicken, beef, shrimp, scallops, mussels, etc. It tastes creamy, milky (from coconut milk), spicy, sweet, savory and very delicious when served with steamed rice.
What Vegetables to Add to Red Curry?
I used chicken, scallops and added some vegetables. I love long beans and carrots in the curry sauce.
You can use other vegetables such as cabbage, green and/or red bell peppers or zucchini. Vegetables make the curry healthier and even more delicious.
Red Curry vs. Green Curry?
They are two separate Thai curry. The difference between the two is the ingredients used. Red curry calls for red curry paste, which is made of dried red chilies, hence the color of the curry is red.
However, green curry uses green chilies. Red curry is less spicier.
How to Make Red Curry?
The method is so easy. First, saute the red curry paste until aromatic before adding the chicken and scallops. Then, add coconut milk, water, vegetables and bring the curry to boil.
Finally, season the red curry sauce with fish sauce and palm sugar. Red curry is healthy for you. My recipe is low in calories, only 366 calories.
Tips for Making Authentic Red Curry
To make rich, creamy and authentic red curry, you need to use the following ingredients:
- A good quality red curry paste, I recommend Maesri brand red curry paste in a small can, which you can buy from Amazon. This is what I use in my kitchen. It comes in a small can so there is no wastage and you can easily store the remaining in the refrigerator. You can use one small can to cook red curry twice or three times.
- Use a good quality coconut milk. I prefer coconut cream.
- Use fish sauce. Do not use soy sauce. It’s not the same.
- If possible, use Thai palm sugar to sweeten the curry. If not, use regular white sugar or brown sugar.
Serve Thai Red Curry with:
Complete an authentic home-cooked Thai meal at home by serving the curry with a Thai salad, fiery soup and rice!
This Recipe Goes Well with:
Other Recipes You Might Like
Thai Red Curry Recipe
Red curry is the most popular Thai curry. Follow this easy recipe for delicious and authentic homemade red curry with chicken scallops and vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste I used Mae Ploy red curry paste
- 4 oz. big scallops
- 4 oz. boneless and skinless chicken breast cut into small cubes
- 80 ml. coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 long beans cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup thickly sliced carrot
- 1 kaffir lime leave cut into fine thin strips, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar or sugar
Heat up a small pot with the cooking oil. Saute the red curry paste until aromatic. Add the scallops and chicken into the pot and stir well with the curry paste. Add coconut milk, water, long beans, carrots, kaffir lime leaves, and bring the curry to boil. Add fish sauce, palm sugar, and stir-continuously for 10 seconds or so, dish out and serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice.