Thai Yellow Curry
Making traditional and authentic curry is easier than you thought. Once you master the basic skills in making Thai curries, you can make just about any curry like.
Yellow Curry Paste
While you can make the curry paste from scratch, I always buy canned yellow curry paste, for example: Mae Ploy brand. The instant curry paste is pretty good and authentic; making curry is so easy with the curry paste.
You can find them easily at Asian stores and some regular food stores do have them in the ethnic food section. You can also buy it online at Amazon.
Yellow Curry Chicken
How to make authentic yellow curry? This yellow chicken curry is very easy to make. The ingredients are:
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- Bamboo shoots.
- Red bell pepper.
- Yellow curry paste.
- Coconut milk.
Make the curry in a big pot and serve it with steamed rice; the curry sauce is delicious with soft and fluffy rice.
Can You Make It Vegetarian or Vegan?
Yes. You can make this curry vegetarian and vegan friendly. You can use vegetarian and vegan ingredients such as cabbage, zucchini, tofu, squash, red and green bell peppers, eggplant, etc. For the seasoning, just use sugar and salt.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome Thai meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 376 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
- 8 oz boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup bamboo shoots
- 1/2 small zucchini, cut into rounds
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Heat the oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add the yellow curry paste. When you smell the aroma from the curry paste, add the chicken, bamboo shoots, zucchini and bell peppers into the pot, stir to combine well with the curry paste.
- Add the coconut milk, water, and cover the pot with its lid. Let cook for about 3 minutes or until all the ingredients are cooked. Add the fish sauce, sugar, and stir to mix well with the curry. Turn off the heat and serve the curry immediately with steamed jasmine rice.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 376Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 73mgSodium 384mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 26g