Recently, there is a new Asian popcorn chicken joint that has opened up close to where I live. I love the restaurant as it’s set up just like a night market in Asia, offering various types of Asian-style street food that you can order.
There are so many different items on the menu—chicken, fish, pork chop, chicken wings, vegetables, and so much more.
I want to order everything on the menu, but time and time again, I will go back to the Asian popcorn chicken, which is my favorite, and little G likes it, too.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Parmesan Baked Popcorn Shrimp
- Taiwanese Salt and Pepper Chicken
- Asian Crispy Fried Chicken (Popcorn Chicken)
The problem is the portion of the Asian popcorn chicken, it’s not enough for me to eat to my heart’s content. I usually need more than one order to satiate my hunger and craving.
And it’s not cheap. So I have decided to make a batch of them a few days ago…ahhh, so good.
Asian popcorn chicken is Taiwanese in origin. They are available everywhere in Taiwan: night market, roadside stalls, street food carts, and regular restaurants or stores.
I have previously published Taiwanese salt and pepper chicken recipe on Rasa Malaysia but this recipe is simplified so anyone can make it without much hassle.
For the Thai basil leaves, you can leave them out. I personally love them as I always have some Thai basil leaves in my fridge.
You can eat the chicken plain or as is, but anything tastes better with some sweet chili sauce. I love my Asian popcorn chicken with it.
Just imagine the taste—crispy, juicy, and flavorful fried chicken pieces dunked in a sweet, sticky, mildly spicy chili sauce.
This is a great alternative to chicken nuggets and your entire family will love this, I guarantee you!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 423 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 8-10 oz. (226 g-280 g) chicken thighs, cut into bite-size cubes
- 2 stalks Thai basil leaves, optional
- 1 cup corn starch
- oil, for deep-frying
- 1/4 teaspoon bottled pepper salt powder, optional
- Mix all the ingredients for the Marinade in a big bowl, stir to combine well. Add the chicken, coat well and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2-3 inches of the oil in a pan or stock pot for deep-frying. Coat the chicken with the cornstarch evenly. Shake off the excess. Deep-fry the chicken until they turn golden brown, remove from the oil with a strainer or slotted spoon, draining the excess oil by laying them on a wire rack or a dish lined with paper towels.
- In a clean pan or skillet, add the basil leaves and stir a few times before adding the chicken back into the pan or skillet. Remove from heat, add the pepper salt powder and toss well with the chicken. Serve immediately.
Thai basil leaves are optional if you can't find them. You can find the bottled pepper salt powder at Asian grocery stores or buy online here.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 423Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 111mgSodium 2132mgCarbohydrates 63gSugar 2gProtein 19g