Blackberry Financiers – buttery, moist and rich French cake with blackberries. Homemade financiers are great with tea or coffee. So good!
I recently had some amazing financiers at a pastry shop and those dainty and cute looking little cakes had me searching for the recipe online so my baker Kendoll and I could make them at home.
After much research, we finally decided on the blackberry financiers recipe from Bon Appetit.
In Paris, financiers are shaped like a little rectangle gold bar (I guess to signify bankers since financiers means bankers literally) and they can be found in many patisserie.
Whenever I visit Paris, I would always order them to go with my cup of coffee in the morning or afternoon.
These blackberry financiers are so good as they are topped with blackberries. Not many people have the financiers mold so we used a regular muffin pan. It worked out well.
Dust with powdered sugar generously and serve them for your next tea party. They are amazing!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 144 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar; additional for dusting
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons honey
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups fresh, or frozen, thawed blackberries, halved
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until browned bits begin to form. Continue to simmer, frequently scraping up browned bits at bottom of pan, until fragrant and dark brown but not burnt, 6–7 minutes. Scrape butter and all browned bits into a medium bowl. Let cool for 3–4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, process almonds and flour in a food processor until nuts are finely ground. Transfer to a medium bowl; whisk in 1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar. Add egg whites; mix until smooth. Fold in honey.
- Fold browned butter into batter. DO AHEAD: Batter can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.
- Arrange a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375°F (190°C). Coat muffin cups with nonstick spray. Pour 1 generous Tbsp. batter into each prepared muffin cup. Top with 3–4 blackberry halves.
- Bake until cakes are golden brown and just cooked through, 15–16 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
Serving Size20 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 144Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 12mgSodium 13mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 2g