I love Madeleines but I have never attempted to bake them at home. I would buy them at Costco, Starbucks, bakery or patisserie.
I can never get enough of them. Finally, I decided to buy a Madeleine pan and make them at home and I had great success. This fail proof recipe is novice baker friendly.
I did a thorough research for the best madeleine recipe online and finally turned to my favorite blogs for inspirations.
Is Madeleine a cake or a cookie?
Madeleines are actually small butter cake with the beautiful shell shape. It’s not really a cookie as a cake batter is used in the recipe. It’s sometimes referred as a cookie because of its beautiful cookie shape and the petite size.
My creation is almost perfect, each Madeleine is firm with crunchy edges, with the cutest signature hump in the middle of the cake! And yes, they are oh-so-good with a cup of hot coffee or tea!
Method/Directions: Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease the madeleine pan with butter. Make the batter by beat the eggs and sugar.
Add lemon juice and lemon zest and blend well. Fold in the flour and melted butter, stir and blend to form a smooth batter. Transfer the batter into the madeleine pan and bake for 12 minutes.
For the full recipe, click here to get the recipe.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 368 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 jumbo eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 5 oz. (140g) sugar
- 5 oz. (140g) all-purpose flour, sieved
- 5 oz. (140g) unsalted butter, melted
- lemon zest from half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, add into the sieved flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease the madeleine pan with butter.
- Using an electronic hand beater, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and foamy. Add lemon juice, lemon zest into the egg mixture and blend well. Fold in the flour and use a spatula to mix well. Fold in the melted butter, stir and blend until the butter is well incorporated with the batter.
- Transfer the batter into the madeleine pan and fill about 90% of each "hole". Don't spread it. Bake for 12 minutes or until they turn light brown.
- Remove the madeleine pan from the oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
- You might need to tap the madeleine pan to release the madeleines. Sprinkle with a little bit of powdered sugar before serving.
To make the madeleine extra humpy, chill the batter in the fridge for a couple of hours before baking.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 368Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 13gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 105mgSodium 24mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 1gSugar 24gProtein 4g