Butter Cake Recipe
This is the BEST butter cake recipe ever!
It is baked, tried and tested by hundreds of fans and readers. This is the only recipe that you will need and you will bake this rich cake over and over again because it’s absolutely perfect.
The cake is extremely rich, buttery, moist, soft and fluffy. Every bite transports you to heaven.
How to Make Butter Cake?
This butter cake recipe is fail-proof; it’s great for novice bakers and yields perfect results every time.
This is the BEST and easiest recipe you’ll find online and I am going to teach you how to make it from scratch.
The recipe calls for simple ingredients that you can get from any grocery stores:
- Unsalted butter
- All purpose flour
- Yogurt or Milk
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
This easy recipe and simple instructions take less than an hour for a rich and delicious cake, straight from your oven.
What is the Difference between Butter Cake and Pound Cake?
They are both very similar as they use baking powder as a leavening agent.
Pound cake gets the name because the traditional recipe calls for one pound each for the three main ingredients: butter, flour and sugar.
Butter cake has a slightly different measurement (not in the same 1:1:1 ratio) but the core ingredients are similar.
Make sure you follow the tips below for perfect results every time.
- Use a high quality butter. I like Challenge brand unsalted butter.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to make the cake batter.
- Sift the flour for a smooth cake batter.
- Yogurt is preferred over milk and will make the cake extra soft, fluffy and moist.
- To avoid over browning of the top of the cake, cover it halfway while baking with a sheet of aluminum foil. DO NOT COVER when the cake goes into the oven or it won’t rise properly.
- If you cover the top of the cake with aluminum foil, make sure the cake batter doesn’t stick to it.
Does Butter Cake Need to be Refrigerated?
No, you don’t have to refrigerate the cake.
The cake is best served warm, or at room temperature. If you have leftovers, you can wrap it up with aluminum foil or plastic wrap to keep them from drying out.
You can keep them for up to 3 days at room temperature. DO NOT FREEZE the cake.
To serve the leftover, you can warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds. You can also heat the cake up using a toaster oven.
How Many Calories Per Slice of Cake?
This recipe is only 238 calories per slice.
Serve Butter Cake with:
I love having them with a cup of coffee or tea for afternoon. It’s absolutely delightful and delicious.
For an afternoon tea party for both sweet and savory treats, I recommend the following recipes to go with the cake.
Pairs well with:
- 7 oz all purpose flour (200g or scant 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature (or 225g butter)
- 7 oz sugar (200g or 1 cup)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt (preferred) or full milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Lightly grease the pan (loaf pan, mini loaf pan, 8x8 or 9x9) with some butter. Mix the flour and the baking powder together and sieve. Add in the salt and mix well. Set aside.
- Use an electronic hand mixer or stand mixer to beat the butter and sugar until well combined or pale yellow in color. Add in the first egg. Beat well after each addition of egg until creamy. Scrape down the sides for even mixing. Add in the vanilla essence and mix well. Fold in the flour and mix well. Add in the plain yogurt or whole milk
- Pour the batter into the greased baking pan. Shake it lightly to distribute the cake batter evenly. Bake until golden brown and cooked, about 40 - 50 minutes. To prevent the top of the cake from over browning, cover the top of the baking pan with a sheet of aluminum foil once the cake top is set. Use a cake tester to test doneness.
- Remove it from the oven and let cool on the wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve warm.
Add 2 tablespoons more butter to the recipe if you want extremely buttery cake.
Depending on the oven, it may take more than 40 minutes to bake the cake.
To prevent the top of the cake from browning too fast, cover the top of the baking pan with a sheet of aluminum foil once the cake top is set.
Serving Size12 slices
Amount Per Serving Calories 238Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 95mgSodium 123mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 4g