Yogurt Cake Recipe
Yogurt cake is a healthy dessert made with yogurt, egg, lemon, all-purpose flour, corn starch, and sugar. This cake has a similar texture to Japanese cheesecake, which is soft, airy, and fluffy. The difference is this cake has a light lemon scent.
It is absolutely delicious and delightful to enjoy any time during the day.
Yogurt cake is easy and quick to prepare. Bake the cake in a water bath to avoid the top cracking. This tastes great either warm or chilled. Try this ultimate yogurt cake for your next dinner party and impress your guests.
Why this Recipe Works?
This recipe is easy to prepare and takes only 20 minutes of active time. Bake the cake in a water bath for 1 hour and it is ready to serve.
This low-calorie yogurt cake recipe creates a creamy, cheesecake-like dessert from healthy ingredients. Everyone can enjoy a slice of this healthier option.
This recipe also works for any occasion. Bake the cake in a muffin pan for individual desserts. Just adjust your baking time.
This simple yogurt cake recipe calls for seven everyday ingredients: eggs, unsweetened yogurt, salt, lemon, all-purpose flour, corn starch, and sugar.
There are some great substitutes so you can use what you have:
- If using sweetened yogurt, reduce the sugar to 3 or 4 tablespoons when beating the egg white.
- If you’d like to add more flavor to the cake, you can add one teaspoon of vanilla paste or honey to the batter when making the egg yolk batter.
How to Make Yogurt Cake?
First, separate all three egg yolks and whites into two separate large bowls.
Prepare the egg yolk mixture by combining yogurt, salt, and lemon zest and whisk well. Add all-purpose flour and corn starch and mix to combine.
Next, beat the egg whites with lemon juice and sugar until medium peaks form. Then, fold in the egg yolk batter and mix well but carefully to not deflate the whites.
Bake the cake in a water bath and you will have a soft, jiggly cake after 1 hour.
For the best result, please follow my tips:
- Use room temperature eggs to ensure the meringue reaches maximum volume.
- To avoid cracking at the top, beat the egg white until medium peak not stiff peak.
- DO NOT OVERMIX the meringue with the egg yolk batter. Fold gently to keep a fluffy batter.
- To prevent the cake from shrinking on the side, don’t open the oven door while baking. Once the cake is done, leave the cake in the oven for 10 more minutes with the oven door closed (or slightly open) before taking it out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cover the cake with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
Use a 6-inch round cake tin or springform pan. You can also use cupcake tins to make mini yogurt cakes and serve them individually.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe has only 169 calories per serving.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup unsweetened yogurt
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- Separate three egg yolks and egg whites into two large bowls.
- Combine egg yolks, yogurt, salt, and lemon zest together and whisk well. Sift all-purpose flour and corn starch into the egg yolk mixture and continue whisking until there are no more lumps. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites till frothy with an electric hand mixer. Add lemon juice and 1/3 of sugar while beating at high speed.
- Slowly add in the rest of the sugar to the egg white mixture while beating. Beat until medium peaks form.
- Preheat oven to 150°C (302°F).
- Use a spatula and gently fold in the egg white mixture into egg yolk batter in 3 batches until well combined. (Do not overmix.)
- Pour batter into a 6-inch round springform pan lined with parchment paper. Tap the pan a few times down on the table to remove any air bubbles trapped in the batter.
- Wrap the bottom of the cake tin with aluminum foil and transfer it to a bigger baking pan. Add boiling water to the bigger pan about 1 inch high.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Then, raise the oven temperature to 180°C (356°F) and bake for 10 minutes more until browned.
- Once the cake is done, leave the cake in the oven for 10 minutes before taking it out (with the oven off).
- Let the cake cool down and remove the sides of the pan. Enjoy it immediately or chill it in the refrigerator for 3 hours before serving.
Recipe Source: Youtube Delicious Day
Amount Per Serving Calories 180Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 142mgSodium 154mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 0gSugar 20gProtein 8g