Marble Cake Recipe from Scratch
Marble cake is one of my favorite cakes.
It is a rich, moist and buttery cake with chocolate swirls. Every bite is chocolatey, sweet and decadent.
It is great with a cup of coffee or tea and I enjoy it whenever I need a quick sweet bite.
This is the easiest and the best marble cake recipe step by step, adapted from my butter cake recipe. The taste is 5 stars!
How to Make Marble Cake?
In this recipe, you will learn how to make the cake mix with the following ingredients:
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
Mix the cocoa powder to make the chocolate batter. Follow the steps in the recipe card and learn the techniques on how to create the marble effect in the cake.
Marble Cake without Chocolate
You can use chocolate in the cake but I prefer to use cocoa powder because it’s easier.
Cocoa powder doesn’t compromise the taste.
This recipe is guaranteed to yield a cake that is rich, buttery with deep chocolate flavors.
For the best results, please follow the tried and tested tips below:
- Grease the cake pan generously with butter.
- Regardless of the size of pan used, double and stack two pans together before baking. This will make sure that the cake doesn’t have a thick brown crust and have a softer texture.
- Cover the top of the cake at 20 minutes mark in the oven. This will make sure that the top of the cake is not too brown.
- Let cool the cake on wire rack for 30 minutes before removing from the pan. This will ensure that the bottom of the cake doesn’t stick to the pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Sour Cream?
Yes, you can. Sour cream makes marble cake extra moist.
Substitute milk in the recipe with the same amount of sour cream (4 tablespoons).
What Cake Pan to Use for Homemade Marble Cake?
I baked the cake with mini loaf pans because I love small packages. The batter makes three mini loaves.
You can also use regular loaf pan (9×5 inch) or standard rectangle cake pan measuring 9×9-inch or 8×8-inch.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 373 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve the cake with coffee or tea. For an afternoon tea party, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature (220g)
- 7 oz all-purpose flour (200g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 7 oz fine or powdered sugar (confectioners sugar or icing sugar) (200g)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease the pan with some butter.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder together and sieve. Add in salt and mix well. Set aside.
- Use an electronic beater to mix butter and sugar until well combined or pale yellow in color. Add in the first egg. Beat well after each addition of egg until creamy. Scrape down the sides and add in vanilla essence and fold in the flour into the mixture and mix well. Finally, add in the milk.
- Divide the batter into two portions. Stir the cocoa powder into one portion and mix well. Transfer the plain batter into the greased baking pan. Shake it lightly to distribute evenly. Pour the cocoa batter in the middle of baking pan, and lightly swirl the cocoa batter with a butter knife. I usually do the "S" shape with the butter knife a few times. Do not over mix.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked, about 40 minutes. If the top turns too brown before the cake is set, cover the top with aluminum foil at 20 minutes mark to prevent the top from being too brown and crusty.
- Insert a cake tester in the middle of the cake to test doneness. Bake longer if the middle of the cake is still wet. Remove it from the oven and let cool on the wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan, sliced and serve immediately.
I used 3 mini loaf pans to make the marble cake. You can also use 1 regular loaf pan, 1 square pan (9x9-inch or 8x8-inch) or 1 round pan to make this recipe.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 373Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 191mgSodium 246mgCarbohydrates 60gFiber 1gSugar 34gProtein 8g