I am so happy that my contributor CP Choong is back with more sinfully delicious baking recipes.
In this post, she is sharing an utterly gorgeous, rich, buttery, and decadent Brownie Butter Cake recipe, adapted from Kevin Chai’s “I love Butter Cake Too 2” cookbook.
CP Choong and I went to high school together, but we didn’t know each other when we were in high school.
Our high school is the most famous Chinese girls school in Penang, attended by hundreds of students in each grade.
Fast forward to present time, CP and I finally met, through a mutual good friend, when I was back in Penang earlier this year.
I am just so happy that she is now my contributor and I can share her wonderful baking recipes with you.
She is an excellent baker and also a very talented photographer.
I absolutely love her food photography and her baked goods are truly top-notch.
So, you can clearly see why I am partial to this brownie butter cake—it’s butter cake, but better, because there is brownie at the bottom of the butter cake.
Just look at the photos, I am sure you can smell the buttery and rich chocolate aroma from the screen.
Put simply, this brownie butter cake is simply brilliant and irresistible.
This recipe calls for double baking: first, you bake the brownie, and then the butter cake that goes on top.
However, the time invested is well worth it when you sink your teeth into the rich, buttery, warm, chocolate-y brownie butter cake.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 355 calories per serving.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 140 g dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 35 g all-purpose flour
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 100 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 120 g all-purpose flour
- 2 g baking powder
- 50 ml fresh milk
- Grease and line a 10cm x 20cm (4x8-in) loaf pan with aluminium foil.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- To make brownie, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Remove and leave to cool slightly. Stir in brown sugar until blended.
- Add in egg, mix well. Fold in flour, mix until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove.
- To make butter cake, beat butter with sugar until creamy. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in sifted flour and baking powder, alternately add in fresh milk, mix to form batter.
- Spread the butter cake batter over brownie, bake in oven at 160°C (320°F) for 25-30 minutes or until cooked. Insert a cake tester in the middle to check doneness.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.