How Do You Sweeten Raw Carrots?
Raw carrots are mildly sweet but you can sweeten raw carrots by glazing them with white sugar, brown sugar, honey and/or maple syrup.
After glazing, the carrots become candied carrots as they will be coated with the sugar glaze, making the carrots sweet and delicious!
This candied carrots recipe is great all year round: festive holidays, special occasions or weeknight dinner.
It’s the perfect glazed carrots recipe that is quick and easy to make at home!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Candied Carrots Recipe
I used brown sugar for this recipe. If you don’t have brown sugar, you can use white sugar, maple syrup and/or honey, you can certainly substitute brown sugar by using what you have.
Glazed carrot is extremely simple and fast as there is no need to preheat the oven to roast the carrots.
Regardless of what sugar or sweetener you use, the carrots takes only 10 minutes to make on the stove top.
If you don’t have an oven at home, this recipe is perfect for you as you can just use the stove and a skillet to cook.
How to Make Candied Carrots?
- First, boil the baby carrots in hot water, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Next, caramelize the carrots in a skillet, add the sugar so every carrot is nicely glazed with the sweetness from the sugar.
- Add butter in a skillet, then make the glaze by combining the butter, sugar and season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Add the boiled carrots and cook until they are nicely glazed. Don’t overcook the carrots as they will continue to cook on the skillet even after you remove it from the heat.
Can You Reheat Glazed Carrots?
Absolutely yes, you can reheat glazed carrots before serving. Place the carrots in a microwave-safe serving ware and make sure that you stir the carrots with the sweet glaze before reheating.
Reheat in the microwave for one minute. The carrots are ready to serve after reheating. If you don’t have a microwave, you can reheat on the stove using a skillet.
If the glaze dries up, more more sugar and butter during reheating.
Can I use Crock Pot or Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can use crock pot slow cooker to make this recipe. Just combine all the ingredients together and cook for 2 hours.
Do not overcook as you don’t want mushy carrots.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
These carrots are just 202 calories per serving, making it a healthy side dish that you can have every day!
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with main dishes. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) baby carrots
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons white sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the baby carrots for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While you're waiting for the carrots to cook, heat up a skillet with the butter on medium to low heat. When the butter melts, add the brown sugar, stir to combine well. Add the carrots into the skillet, season with salt and black pepper. Cook for a few minutes until they are nicely glazed, add the parsley and combine well. Dish out and serve immediately.
If use salted butter, then skip the salt.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 202Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 30mgSodium 313mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 4gSugar 19gProtein 1g