What is capellini?
Capellini is a variety of pasta. Capellini noodles are very thin, measuring only 0.85 to 0.92 mm in diameter. They are shaped like spaghetti.
This capellini recipe is one of my favorite pasta recipes; it’s loaded with fresh clams and cherry tomatoes.
This recipe is inspired by a similar dish at my favorite Italian restaurant. The recipe calls for the main ingredients below:
- Clams. You may use Manila clams, little neck clams, cherry stone clams, or cockle clams.
- Cherry tomatoes.
- White wine.
- Lemon juice.
This recipe is bursting with the briny taste of clams, the sweetness of cherry tomatoes, and the inviting lemon-butter sauce.
How to Cook Cappelini?
This recipe is so easy to make at home. First, cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Make sure you don’t overcook the noodles as they cook fast.
Heat up a skillet with some olive oil, butter and sauté the garlic and capers. Add the clams, white wine, lemon juice and bring it to a simmer.
Toss in the capellini pasta noodles and cherry tomatoes, stir well and you’re done!
Frequently Asked Questions
Difference between Capellini and Angel hair Pasta
Both pasta noodles are very similar. Capellini is slightly thicker than angel hair pasta with each strand of noodle measuring 0.85 mm – 0.92 mm thick while angel hair is 0.78 mm – 0.88 mm in thickness.
How to Keep Capellini from Sticking and Clumping Together?
Follow the package instructions and use salted water to cook the noodles. To avoid clumping, stir to loosen up the pasta noodles while they are cooking in hot boiling water.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 275 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 8 oz. (225 g) capellini
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 dried red chili, seeded and cut into short pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1.5 lbs (700 g) clams, cleaned and scrubbed
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder, optional
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges, for garnishing
- Bring water to boil in a pot. Cook the capellini until al dente, according to the instructions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the ingredients: minced garlic, capers and dried red chilies.
- Heat up a skillet and add the olive oil and butter. When the butter melts, add the garlic, capers and dried red chilies. Saute for 10 seconds.
- Add the clams, stir a few times before adding the white wine. Cover the skillet with its lid and steam the clams until they are open.
- Add lemon juice, salt, ground black pepper and chicken bouillon powder (if using). Add the cherry tomatoes and parsley. Add the capellini to the skillet, stir to combine well.
- Dish out, add lemon wedges as a garnish and serve immediately.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 275Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 37mgSodium 678mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 7g