Chinese Chicken Lo Mein
Lo Mein is a popular noodle dish in Hong Kong where you boil and drain noodles and then stir them into a savory sauce.
Add chicken, and you then have a healthy and easy Chicken Lo Mein. Making this dish is quick – it only takes 20 minutes. As a result, this homemade Lo Mein recipe is definitely much better than Chinese takeout.
Chicken Lo Mein Sauce
Lo Mein sauce is made from a stock (chicken or pork bone stock) and seasonings such as soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and sesame oil.
First, cook the sauce. Then, add the lo mein noodles to the sauce. That’s why Lo Mein is sometimes referred as “stirred noodles”.
What’s the Difference Between Lo Mein and Chow Mein?
Chicken Lo Mein is made without stir-frying. You mix in the noodles with the Chicken Lo Mein sauce, instead of stir-frying it. Therefore, lo mein is saucier and more “wet”.
On the other hand, Chow Mein is stir-fried noodles where there is no sauce, so each strand of the noodles are dry.
How to Make Chicken Lo Mein
Cook the Lo Mein noodles according to package instructions, but pre-al dente. Drain well. Next, you make the sauce by stir-frying garlic with some oil, then add in the chicken, Napa cabbage, mushroom, carrots and chicken broth.
Stir in the noodles and mix well with the Lo Mein sauce and serve immediately.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 302 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 8 oz fresh, regular or thin Chinese egg noodles, or spaghetti/angel hair
- Water, for boiling noodles
- 8 oz boneless chicken breast, sliced
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, sliced
- 2 Shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1/3 cup carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Bring a pot of water to boil, gently loosen up the fresh noodles before boiling. Cook the noodles according to the instructions or until pre-al dente because you're going to finish cooking the noodles later in the wok. Marinate the chicken with the cornstarch. Set aside. When the noodles are ready, drain the noodles. Mix all the ingredients of the Sauce in a small bowl. Stir to combine well. Set aside.
- Heat up a wok with 2 tablespoons of oil. Stir-fry the garlic until fragrant, and then add in the chicken, Napa cabbage, mushroom, carrot and stir-fry for about 2 minutes before adding in the chicken broth and the Sauce. Bring the chicken broth to boil and let reduce a bit. Turn off the heat and stir in the noodles and combine well, dish out and serve immediately.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 302Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 168mgSodium 975mgCarbohydrates 92gFiber 6gSugar 6gProtein 43g