Crab Rangoon is an appetizer found in many Chinese restaurants in the United States. Many people wonder are crab Rangoon authentic and the answer is no. It is a classic American creation even though they are mostly served in Chinese restaurants.
These dainty appetizers are basically fried wontons filled with cream cheese, with real crab meat in the filling. They are deep-fried to golden brown and usually served with a pink-color sweet and sour dipping sauce.
I first encountered them at a Chinese buffet restaurant in the Midwest. They have since become one of my favorite appetizers!
Tips on How to Cook Crab Rangoon?
How do you make crab Rangoon? Just follow my recipe, method and tips below. You only need three few key ingredients: cream cheese, wonton wrapper and crab meat.
- Use square wonton wrappers to wrap the cream cheese and crab filling. You can get wonton wrappers at Asian supermarkets or food stores. You can also find wonton wrappers in many regular supermarkets now, for example: Whole Foods.
- Use real crab meat for the cream cheese filling. You can use fresh crab meat, frozen crab meat or canned crab meat. If crab is not an option, you can use imitation crab meat sticks. Just cut and shred up the imitation crab meat before using.
- Wrap the cream cheese and crab mixture using wonton wrappers. Do not overfill with too much filling.
- Seal each wonton wrapper tight so there is no leakage. Pinch it up like a little purse and deep-fried to golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Is there crab in Crab Rangoon? Yes! You can use either fresh crab, canned crab or artificial crab.
- What’s the difference between fried wontons and Crab Rangoon? Fried wonton is an authentic Chinese appetizer wrapped with wonton wapper and filled with meat such as ground pork, chicken and/or shrimp. The latter is a type of wontons with cream cheese and crab as the filling.
- Can you freeze crab Rangoon? Yes, once they are assembled and wrapped, you can freeze them in the refrigerator. Thaw to room temperature before deep-frying.
Serve Crab Rangoon with:
For a wholesome Chinese meal, make the following dishes.
Complete Meal Plan
Crab Rangoon is pretty healthy and each one is only 25 calories, so you can definitely eat lots of them. Enjoy!