Fried Shrimp Wontons Recipe
I love Cantonese dim sum and wonton soup, where little morsels of dumplings, steamed buns, and various appetizers are served in bamboo baskets.
These crispy, golden brown shrimp dumplings are called “明虾角” in Cantonese dialect. They are one of my favorite dim sum; I always order them whenever I have dim sum.
If you love dim sum, you ought to try this recipe as these homemade fried shrimp wontons are exactly like dim sum restaurants, if not better. Plus, they are so easy to make!
How to Make Fried Shrimp Wontons?
The key ingredient of this shrimp wontons recipe is the shrimp filling. Use raw shrimp to make the filling and add the seasoning.
For the wrapper, you will need wonton wrappers, which are square in shape and pale yellow in color.
Assemble the shrimp wontons by adding the filling to the wonton wrapper and then fold to form wontons.
Deep fry in hot oil until crispy and serve with mayonnaise.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 168 calories per serving, or about 3 pieces per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 8 oz. (226 g) shelled and deveined raw shrimp
- 12 pieces wonton wrappers
- oil, for deep-frying
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, for dipping
- Cut 2/3 of the shrimp into small pieces. Mince the remaining 1/3 of the shrimp into ground shrimp. Combine the shrimp with all the Seasoning ingredients together. Stir to mix well.
- Assemble the shrimp wontons by placing a piece of the wonton wrapper on a flat surface. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the shrimp filling on the middle of the wrapper. Do not overfill.
- Fold to form a tri-angle shape. Using the thumbs and index fingers of both hands, press and squeeze both sides of the wonton towards to the center to form the folds. Make sure the wontons are sealed tightly. Place the wrapped wontons on a floured surface or baking sheet.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of the oil in a wok or small stockpot to 350°F (176°C) for deep-frying. Gently drop the shrimp wontons into the oil and deep-fry in batches until they turn golden brown. Dish out with a strainer or slotted spoon, draining the excess oil with paper towels. Serve warm with the mayonnaise.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 168Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 149mgSodium 751mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 12g