Originally posted on July 2, 2011.
Updated with new recipe and photos.
I am sure many of you are coffee lovers.
I spend so much money drinking coffee at cafes but this summer, I decided to make a tub of homemade ice cream coffee and get my caffeine fix by walking up to my fridge.
Ice cream is a must-have during summertime, so this is really a sweet idea.
I adapted the recipe from Food Network.
I have all sorts of coffee granules in my pantry, and this coffee ice cream recipe uses just that.
The coffee ice cream is creamy, rich and loaded with the intense smell and great taste of coffee, which I love very much.
Make a quart of these and freeze it and enjoy your caffeine fix anytime you want!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 114 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 6 egg yolks
- chocolate powder, for dusting
- Combine the cream, milk, sugar, and coffee in a medium, heavy saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. After the ice cream is made, transfer to an airtight container. Cover tightly and freeze until ready to serve. Dust with chocolate powder.
Serving Size1 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 114Total Fat 92gSaturated Fat 28gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 1220mgSodium 646mgCarbohydrates 239gSugar 229gProtein 38g