I have gone pumpkin crazy recently.
If you have missed out, I’ve got pumpkin doughnut muffins, pumpkin bread pudding, and old recipes such as no-bake pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin cupcakes, Nutella-swirled pumpkin bread and pumpkin bundt cake.
A classic fall dessert, a Pumpkin Roll consists of warm spices and a sweetened cream cheese filling all wrapped inside a pumpkin cake.
Like most pumpkin desserts, I like to include walnuts since the flavors complement each other so well.
I also am a fan of using my KitchenAid stand mixer to speed up the process.
It works well for mixing the cake batter as well as the filling.
Make sure though, when beating the ingredients together, only mix until combined and scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically so everything gets incorporated.
And I am so happy that my dear friends at KitchenAid is sponsoring a KitchenAid® Professional 6500 Design™ Series bowl-lift Stand Mixer, in black, MSRP: $679.99.
Bakin/holiday season is upon us again soon, so click here to enter to win!!
As for rolling the cake, be very careful and use the kitchen towel as a guide.
The kitchen towel will remain wrapped in the cake until you unroll it for filling.
This keeps the cake securely together and from falling apart.
I hope you enjoy making this as much as I did.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 426 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3/4 cup (90 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 2/3 cup (156 g) pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (150 g) walnuts, finely chopped
- powdered sugar
- 1 package (8 oz. / 226 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80 g) butter , room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (150 g) powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick spray, line with parchment paper and spray again with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a bowl stir together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat the eggs on high speed for 5 minutes. Slowly add the sugar on medium speed until combined. Mix in the pumpkin and lemon juice. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Loosen the edges of the cake from pan and turn it out onto a clean kitchen towel sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar. Remove the parchment. Roll the towel and cake into a spiral, starting from a short side, and cool on a wire rack.
- Create the filling by beating the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract on medium speed, until smooth, in a stand mixer. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Unroll the cake and remove the towel. Spread the cake with filling, leaving 1 inch unfrosted. Roll the cake back up, and trim the ends. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
For the cleanest cut, slightly freeze the cake before slicing and serving.
Serving Size8 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 426Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 6gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 81mgSodium 239mgCarbohydrates 61gFiber 2gSugar 48gProtein 5g