I have gone pumpkin crazy recently.
If you have missed out, I’ve got pumpkin doughnut muffins, pumpkin bread pudding, and old recipes such as no-bake pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin cupcakes, Nutella-swirled pumpkin bread and pumpkin bundt cake.
A classic fall dessert, a Pumpkin Roll consists of warm spices and a sweetened cream cheese filling all wrapped inside a pumpkin cake.
Like most pumpkin desserts, I like to include walnuts since the flavors complement each other so well.
I also am a fan of using my KitchenAid stand mixer to speed up the process.
It works well for mixing the cake batter as well as the filling.
Make sure though, when beating the ingredients together, only mix until combined and scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically so everything gets incorporated.
Talking about KitchenAid, I recently partnered with them on Apple Challenge as they introduced the new KitchenAid Black Stainless Steel Appliances.
And I am so happy that my dear friends at KitchenAid is sponsoring a KitchenAid® Professional 6500 Design™ Series bowl-lift Stand Mixer, in black, MSRP: $679.99.
Bakin/holiday season is upon us again soon, so click here to enter to win!!
As for rolling the cake, be very careful and use the kitchen towel as a guide.
The kitchen towel will remain wrapped in the cake until you unroll it for filling.
This keeps the cake securely together and from falling apart.
I hope you enjoy making this as much as I did.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 426 calories per serving.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- powdered sugar
- 1 package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick spray, line with parchment paper and spray again with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat the eggs on high speed for 5 minutes. Slowly add the sugar on medium speed until combined. Mix in the pumpkin and lemon juice. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Loosen the edges of the cake from the pan and turn it out onto a clean kitchen towel, sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar. Remove the parchment. Roll the towel and cake into a spiral, starting from a short side, and cool on a wire rack.
- Create the filling by beating the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract on medium speed, until smooth, in a stand mixer. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Unroll the cake and remove the towel. Spread the cake with filling, leaving 1 inch unfrosted. Roll the cake back up, and trim the ends. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
Would love to see video of the making of this.
How do I get the recipe?
There is no link….only a link to recipe index….
Sorry just fixed it. It’s the GET RECIPE red bar.
Made this today and when I rerolled the cake with the filling it split in a couple places even though I was really careful. Looking at it now it seems there is an excess of filling so I think I might leave out some of it if I make it again. I put it in the freezer since I’m not going to serve it for a couple days and am hoping it will look presentable when I serve it.
Hi Sue, I am sorry to hear that. Practice makes perfect. I am sure your pumpkin roll looks just fine. :)
any substitute for eggs
I am in the middle of making this and you do not say how many eggs to use! Help!
3 eggs, sorry.
This looks amazing!! I love cake rolls, thanks for the recipe!
Love Pumpkin Roll cakes. I fill mine with Rum Raisin Ice Cream & top with a warm Butterscotch Sauce. Sooo yummy.