I always have leftover bread in the home because I tend to buy a big loaf of white bread for weekdays: breastfast for G and Mr. Rasa Malaysia, but by the end of the second day no one wants to eat the stale and hard bread and they usually sit on kitchen countertop until someone throws them away.
Bread pudding is such a great way to use up day-old bread or a loaf of French bread.
Soaked in a cream and egg-based custard, the bread takes on any flavor you can think of.
For me, this season means only one thing and I chose pumpkin spice.
This pumpkin bread pudding recipe is pretty versatile.
I prefer to mix the wet ingredients together and pour it over the bread.
Alternately, you can combine everything in a bowl, toss to coat the bread cubes and then transfer it to a pan to bake.
The goal is to saturate the bread with the custard, no matter what approach you take.
Because this pumpkin bread pudding is a tad plain looking, I suggest dusting it with powdered sugar if you’d like.
A warm caramel sauce serves nicely along this dish as well.
Dig in and indulge!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 348 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 cup heavy cream, (240 mL)
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree, (176 g)
- 1/2 cup milk, (120 mL)
- 1/2 cup sugar, (100 g)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, (1.25 mL)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, (5 mL)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice, (0.6 mL)
- 5 cups cubed (1-inch) French bread, (450 g)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, (90 g)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cream, pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, salt, and spices.
- Toss the bread cubes with butter in another bowl and pour into the baking pan. Pour the pumpkin mixture evenly over the bread. Press the bread gently into the mixture, and allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
- Bake until custard sets, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool before serving.
For added crunch, add your favorite chopped nuts. Walnuts work well with pumpkin.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 348Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 9gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 113mgSodium 309mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 2gSugar 24gProtein 7g