Pumpkin Pie is a delicious homemade tradition for Thanksgiving and holidays. Imagine flaky and crumbly pie crust filled with pumpkin and topped with beautiful autumn themed decorations and whipped cream.
This classic homemade pumpkin pie is very easy to make at home. All you have to do is mix, pour, bake the pie for a delicious holiday tradition.
Pie Crust for Pumpkin Pie
While you can use store-bought pie crust but nothing beats a homemade pie crust, which is very easy to make. My pie crust dough recipe yields 2 disk of pie crust.
Wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and and refrigerate overnight until firm before baking. You can also freeze them in the refrigerator for up to a month, so make the pie crust ahead.
Crimping the Edges of Pie Crust
Pumpkin pie is pretty plain looking so you will have to crimp the edges of the pie crust to make it look pretty. To do this, fold the overhanging dough and crimp the edges of the pie crust with your fingers.
Crimping also helps to hold up the edges of the pumpkin pie, so they don’t slump during baking. Also, it can hold the weight of the filling.
The Pumpkin Filling
The filling is the easiest part of making pumpkin pie. You just have to whisk together all the ingredients: canned pumpkin, cream, sugar, eggs, and the pumpkin pie spices.
For traditional pumpkin pie flavor, the secret is freshly grated nutmeg.
Tips for Baking Pumpkin Pie
I have summarized the following tips and tricks for the best and perfect homemade pumpkin pie:
- Make your own pie crust.
- Pre-bake or blind bake the pie crust before pouring in the pumpkin pie filling. Fill the crust with pie weights or dried beans.
- Before pre-baking the crust, cover the pie crust with foil to prevent the edges from over-browning or burnt.
- Use freshly grated nutmeg. Get a whole nutmeg and grate with a microplane or grater. Nutmeg is the secret ingredient of pumpkin pie.
- Use the extra disk of pie crust to make autumn leaf decorations. The decorations instantly transform a plain looking pumpkin pie into an eye candy.
This Thanksgiving, invest some time and make the best and most gorgeous looking pumpkin pie by following my recipe. This will be the centerpiece of the dining table, other than turkey.
Serve Pumpkin Pie Recipe with:
For a wholesome dinner, make the following dishes.
Pairs well with:
Other Thanksgiving and Holidays Recipes:
- The Ultimate Dinner Rolls
- Crispy Leaf Potatoes
- Joël Robuchon’s Mashed Potatoes (The Ultimate French Chef Mashed Potatoes)
- Honey Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Classic Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Classic Pumpkin Pie - easy recipe for homemade pumpkin pie. This traditional holiday pumpkin pie recipe is easy to prepare and perfect for the holidays!
Basic Pie Crust Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 disk Pie Crust Dough, another 1 disk for decorating
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- sugared cranberries, (optional)
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (preferred) or granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Basic Pie Crust Dough:
1Pulse the flour, shortening, sugar, vinegar and salt in a food processor until it looks like fine meal. Add the butter and pulse until it is in pea-size pieces. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup ice water and pulse until the dough begins to come together. Pinch the dough with your fingers; if it doesn't hold together, add up to 4 more tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse again.
Divide the dough into 2, pat each dough into a disk. You will have 2 disks.
Roll out one disk of dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Ease into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold the overhanging dough under itself and crimp the edges with your fingers. Pierce the bottom and sides all over with a fork. Chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
Optional Step: roll out the second disk of dough into a 10-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Cut out autumn leaf decorations using an autumn leaf cookie cutter. Set aside. Chill the decorations for at least 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover the chilled pie crust dough with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Beat 1 egg for egg wash and brush on the surface of the autumn leaf decorations.
Transfer both pie crust and decorations to the oven and bake until the edges are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and continue baking until the pie crust is golden all over, 10 to 15 more minutes. For the decorations, remove them after the oven as soon as they turn golden brown.
Transfer both to a rack and let cool completely.
Make the Filling:
Gently whisk the pumpkin, cream, sugar, 2 eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt (do not over mix). Beat the remaining egg for egg wash and brush on the crust edge.
Pour the filling into the crust and bake until set around the edges, 50 minutes to 1 hour (the middle will still jiggle slightly). Transfer to a rack; let cool completely. Place the autumn leaf decorations and sugared cranberries on top of the pumpkin pie. Serve immediately.
To ground the nutmeg, use a whole nutmeg and grate with Microplane or grater.