Pumpkin Pie is a delicious homemade tradition for Thanksgiving and holidays. Imagine flaky and crumbly pie crust filled with pumpkin and topped with beautiful autumn themed decorations and whipped cream.
This classic homemade pumpkin pie is very easy to make at home. All you have to do is mix, pour, bake the pie for a delicious holiday tradition.
Pie Crust for Pumpkin Pie
While you can use store-bought pie crust but nothing beats a homemade pie crust, which is very easy to make. My pie crust dough recipe yields 2 disk of pie crust.
Wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and and refrigerate overnight until firm before baking. You can also freeze them in the refrigerator for up to a month, so make the pie crust ahead.
Crimping the Edges of Pie Crust
Pumpkin pie is pretty plain looking so you will have to crimp the edges of the pie crust to make it look pretty. To do this, fold the overhanging dough and crimp the edges of the pie crust with your fingers.
Crimping also helps to hold up the edges of the pumpkin pie, so they don’t slump during baking. Also, it can hold the weight of the filling.
The Pumpkin Filling
The filling is the easiest part of making pumpkin pie. You just have to whisk together all the ingredients: canned pumpkin, cream, sugar, eggs, and the pumpkin pie spices.
For traditional pumpkin pie flavor, the secret is freshly grated nutmeg.
Tips for Baking Pumpkin Pie
I have summarized the following tips and tricks for the best and perfect homemade pumpkin pie:
- Make your own pie crust.
- Pre-bake or blind bake the pie crust before pouring in the pumpkin pie filling. Fill the crust with pie weights or dried beans.
- Before pre-baking the crust, cover the pie crust with foil to prevent the edges from over-browning or burnt.
- Use freshly grated nutmeg. Get a whole nutmeg and grate with a microplane or grater. Nutmeg is the secret ingredient of pumpkin pie.
- Use the extra disk of pie crust to make autumn leaf decorations. The decorations instantly transform a plain looking pumpkin pie into an eye candy.
This Thanksgiving, invest some time and make the best and most gorgeous looking pumpkin pie by following my recipe. This will be the centerpiece of the dining table, other than turkey.
Serve Pumpkin Pie Recipe with:
For a wholesome dinner, make the following dishes.
Complete Meal Plan
Other Thanksgiving and Holidays Recipes:
- The Ultimate Dinner Rolls
- Crispy Leaf Potatoes
- Joël Robuchon’s Mashed Potatoes (The Ultimate French Chef Mashed Potatoes)
- Honey Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE
SUBSCRIBE TO RASA MALAYSIA NEWSLETTER AND GET EASY AND DELICIOUS RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX. If you try my recipe, please use hashtag #rasamalaysia on social media so I can see your creations! Follow me on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for new recipes, giveaways and more.
All photos and recipes on Rasa Malaysia are copyright protected. Please do not use the photos and recipes without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words instead of copy and paste and link back to //rasamalaysia.com/pumpkin-pie/. Thank you very much!