With so many pumpkin desserts floating around the web, I want to take a moment to share a less sweet version.
These pumpkin muffins still taste like a dessert, but it has a good balance of salt to keep you grounded.
Don’t be fooled, the muffins are still sweet with a quick drizzle of cream cheese icing over a sweetened crumble.
The crumble contains a mix of dark brown sugar, oats, spices, butter and walnuts.
Feel free to omit the walnuts if you have a nut allergy and add more oats.
Likewise, you can use light brown sugar if that’s what you have in your pantry.
While this recipe says it only makes a dozen, I sometimes find myself with extra batter, almost enough for two more muffins.
That’s plenty for you to enjoy without anyone ever knowing you had one.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 424 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan, (360 g)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, (12.5 mL)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, (1.25 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt, (5 mL)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, (2.5 mL)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, (1.25 mL)
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, (150 g)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, (135 g)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups pure pumpkin puree, (293 g)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk, (80 mL)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, (90 g)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, (60 g)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, (5 mL)
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped, (50 g)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced, (45 g)
- 1/3 cup oats, (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, (30 g)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract, (0.6 mL)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, (19.5 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon milk, (2.5 mL)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a muffin pan with nonstick spray and flour; set aside.
- To make the batter: In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and allspice; set aside. In a stand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in 1 egg at a time and then the pumpkin and flour mixture on low to medium speed. Mix in the buttermilk. Spoon 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin cup.
- To make the crumble: Mix all the ingredients together until a crumbly mixture forms. Divide the crumble over the muffin batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the icing by beating the butter, cream cheese and vanilla extract until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar and milk. Fill an icing bag with the cream cheese mixture and pipe on top of the muffins.
Use an ice cream scoop to get the perfect quantity of batter each time.
Serving Size12 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 424Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 10gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 70mgSodium 260mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 2gSugar 25gProtein 6g