Inchi Kabin is the Nyonya version of deep-fried chicken. It was one of my late father’s favorites. I remember countless occasions when we were dining out at restaurants in Penang and he would always ask for Inchi Kabin, which was not always on the menu…
The main difference of Inchi Kabin compared to other fried chicken is that the chicken is usually twice-fried, so they are extremely crispy.
Also, there is a special dipping sauce that goes with it, which is tangy, appetizing, and complements the crispy fried chicken perfectly. For an authentic Inchi Kabin recipe, I referred to my friend Madam Kwong, who used to be Nyonya food chef in Penang.
Madam Kwong is so kind to share her Inchi Kabin recipe (including the dipping sauce) and photos with us. Do try it out the next time you make some fried chicken at home. Enjoy!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 365 calories per serving.
Nyonya Fried Chicken Recipe (Inchi Kabin)
Nyonya Fried Chicken Recipe (Inchi Kabin) Recipe
- 1 kg chicken, cut into pieces
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 ½ tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 red chilli, seeded and cut into strips
- half calamansi lime juice, use lime or lemon if you can't find calamansi lime
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons Worcester sauce
- 1Marinate the chicken with the Seasonings for at least 4 hours, or best overnight. In a frying pan, deep fry the seasoned chicken until ¾ cooked and let cool.
- 2Heat the oil again till very hot and deep fry for approximately 1 minute or when sizzling subsides. Remove the chicken. Allow the oil the heat up again and repeat process, twice till very crisp and golden brown.
- 3Mix the dipping sauce in a small bowl and serve the fried chicken with it.