Mee Goreng means fried noodles in Malaysian language.
In Malaysia, you can find this noodle dish in the market, or by the roadside.
They are sold by street vendors or hawkers, especially Indian-Malaysia.
This mee goreng recipe is the Indian or Mamak version.
Indian Mamak Mee Goreng
Many Indians in Malaysia are Muslim, and they are called Mamak locally.
Indian-style fried yellow noodles are commonly found in Malaysia.
It’s spicy, savory, sweet and tangy, with toppings such as fried bean curd, boiled potato and squid.
It is really delicious.
This easy homemade recipe calls for the following ingredients.
If you are in Malaysia or Asia countries, it will be very easy to find the ingredients at a local market.
If you are in outside of Malaysia, you can find the ingredients in Asian grocery stores:
- Yellow noodles. These noodles are yellow in color and coated with oil.
- Dried chilies.
- Fried bean curd or firm tofu.
- Bean sprouts.
- Soy sauce.
- Sweet soy sauce or kecap manis.
- Fresh limes.
How to Make Mee Goreng?
It’s very easy to make this noodle dish.
First, you need to make the chili paste.
Next, prepare all the topping and ingredients and mix the seasonings together to make the sauce.
The last step is to fire up a wok and cook the noodles with the toppings and sauce.
Calories in Mee Goreng Noodles?
This recipe is only 493 calories per serving.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 potato, boiled, peeled, and sliced
- 3 pieces fried bean curd (fried firm tofu) , cut into pieces
- 4 squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 1 lb yellow noodles, rinsed and drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- lettuce leaves, sliced, for garnishing
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 10 dried red chilies
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce or kecap manis
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- Sugar, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in Chili Paste and blend well using a food processor.
- Heat a wok and add "tumis" or stir fry the Chili Paste until the oil separates from chili. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients of the Sauce together. Set aside.
- Heat up a wok on high heat and add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Add the garlic, 3 tablespoons of Chili Paste, potatoes, bean curd and squid. Stir fry until fragrant. Add the yellow noodles and the Sauce and continue stirring. Push the noodles to the side of the wok.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil and crack the eggs on top of the oil. Scramble the eggs and mix in with the noodles. Add the bean sprouts and quick stir for about 1 minute.
- Dish out and garnish with sliced lettuce leaves and lime wedges. Squeeze some lime juice all over the noodles before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 493Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 159mgSodium 1436mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 5gSugar 14gProtein 20g