To most people outside of Malaysia and Singapore, laksa generally means curry laksa, in a curry and coconut milk soup base.
The truth is, there are many different types of laksa but the two dominant ones are curry laksa (as in this recipe) and asam laksa.
Today I am sharing my “friendly” laksa recipe with you.
I have adapted the recipe so the taste appeals more to the western palate.
This is the version you will find in most high-end hotels in Southeast Asia, with the ingredients modified but the flavor is still iconic and authentic.
I added evaporated milk to the laksa stock, so it’s half coconut milk and half evaporated milk.
The end result is a creamier version of laksa without the dominant flavor of coconut milk.
To get the curry paste in this recipe, you can buy it online at Amazon.
Once you have the curry paste, you can make this recipe easily.
The flavors are bold and addictive, but I assure you that this is a noodle dish you will want to eat every day!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 280 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 pack Malaysian instant curry paste (120 g)
- 2 cups chicken broth (1 can)
- 2 cups water
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white part only, pounded
- 10 tofu puffs, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt to taste
- yellow noodles
- bean sprouts
- 10 shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, cut into halves
- fish cakes, cut into pieces
- In a stockpot, add the oil and sauté the instant curry paste until aromatic. Add the chicken broth, water, lemongrass, tofu puffs and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer. Add the coconut milk and evaporated milk. Add salt to taste. Keep the stock on simmer.
- Rinse the yellow noodles and bean sprouts separately, drained and set aside.
- To assemble a bowl of laksa for serving, bring to boil some yellow noodles and a handful of bean sprouts. Drain the noodles and bean sprouts and transfer to a serving bowl. Top the noodles with 2-3 shrimp, a few pieces of fish cake, and some eggs. Using a ladle, pour the soup and a few pieces of tofu puffs on top of the noodles. Serve immediately.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 280Total Fat 89gSaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 249mgSodium 903mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 11gSugar 9gProtein 132g