Chinese Shrimp with Lobster Sauce
I received a few requests from my readers on how to prepare Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, a very popular Americanized Chinese dish.
Shrimp is always a great dish to serve, as the Cantonese pronunciation of 虾 sounds like 哈, which means laughter or happiness.
So, here I share with you my Shrimp with Lobster Sauce recipe, which you can prepare to celebrate Chinese New Year, or any other holiday.
Chinese New Year is all about feasting, eating lots of good food that signifies great fortune, happiness, and prosperity.
What is Shrimp with Lobster Sauce Made of?
One thing that I need to clarify is that no actual lobster is used in this dish. The name actually originates from the use of fermented black beans in the sauce, which the Cantonese use in creating lobster.
I think whoever invented the dish is a smart marketing whiz, as it sounds so much more delicious with the word lobster in its name.
Is Shrimp with Lobster Sauce Healthy?
This recipe is very healthy, with one serving being only 173 calories.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
Shrimp with Lobster Sauce Recipe
Shrimp with Lobster Sauce - quick, easy recipe that produces the most delicious shrimp in eggy lobster sauce!!
- 12 ounces raw large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- salt and sugar to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1- inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine, Shaoxing wine
- 3/4 cup store-bought frozen vegetables, peas and carrots
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1Lightly season the shrimp with salt and sugar to taste.
- 2In a wok, heat up the oil on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add in the ginger and garlic. Stir-fry until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- 3Transfer the shrimp into the wok and stir-fry until half-cooked or surface turns opaque. Pour in the chicken broth and Chinese cooking wine. Let it boil.
- 4Add the frozen vegetables and stir to combine. Add the white pepper, soy sauce, salt and sugar to taste.
- 5Prepare the cornstarch mixture by adding the cornstarch and water, mix well. When the chicken broth is boiling, gently pour in the cornstarch mixture while stirring.
- 6Bring it back to a boil, swirl the beaten egg and immediately stir 3 times with a pair of chopsticks. When the egg white begins to form into silken threads, quickly turn off the heat.
- 7Dish out to serving plate. Best served with warm rice.