How to Make Honey Walnut Shrimp
Walnut shrimp is a very popular American-Chinese recipe that is well loved by everyone, made with crunchy and addictive candy-glazed walnuts, succulent shrimp, creamy mayonnaise, condensed milk and honey.
With such mouthwatering combinations, there is no surprise that it is THE most popular shrimp dish at many Chinese restaurants here in the US!
Ingredients for Honey Walnut Shrimp Sauce
Ordering this popular dish at restaurants can be rather expensive but you can follow my recipe and make it at home for only $10 and you will have a big serving for the entire family!
All ingredients can be found at regular supermarket so you don’t have to go to Asian stores.
The sauce is made from a few simple ingredients:
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Lemon Juice
That’s it for the sauce! This is a super easy recipe.
The homemade version is always better, fresher, healthier than eating out or takeout, and you do not need to go to Panda Express or your neighborhood Chinese joints again!
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 470 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb (0.4kg) big shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup corn starch, for coating the shrimp
- oil, for deep-frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Add the egg white to the shrimp, stir to combine well. Rinse the walnut halves with water, drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, honey, condensed milk and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
- Prepare the Caramel Glaze by heating up 1/2 cup of water until it boils. Add in the sugar and keep stirring until it turns golden color. Add the walnut halves into the caramel. Lower the heat for another 1-2 minutes, then remove the walnuts and place them on a piece of parchment paper to dry. Make sure the walnuts are not sticking together. (DO NOT use regular paper towels as the walnut halves will stick to the paper.)
- Heat up the oil in a pan or wok. Once the oil is heated, coat the shrimp with the corn starch generously. Shake off the excess corn starch before frying the shrimp. When the shrimp is cooked, remove them from the oil and drain on paper towels. Add the shrimp and toss well with the mayonnaise sauce. Transfer the honey walnut shrimp to a serving platter and top the shrimp with the candied walnuts and serve immediately.
Watch the cooking video on this page for step-by-step guide.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 470Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 247mgSodium 1172mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 1gSugar 29gProtein 29g