Shrimp and Broccoli Recipe
Shrimp and broccoli is one of the best Chinese stir-fry recipes, This combination holds all health benefits in one dish and is easy to prepare. Quickly toss the shrimp and broccoli in a flavorful brown sauce and it is ready to serve in just 15 minutes. It is healthy, delicious, and tastes better than the one from your local restaurant.
Easy Shrimp and Broccoli Stir-fry
Shrimp and broccoli stir-fry is one of the most popular Chinese takeouts. These crispy shrimp and broccoli are coated with a mouthwatering sauce and go perfectly with steamed rice or noodles. Try this easy homemade stir-fry recipe to make a quick and delicious meal that everyone loves.
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe is quick, easy, and only calls for a few everyday ingredients. This is the perfect recipe for busy weeknight dinners.
This homemade dish also makes a restaurant-quality dish with only a few simple ingredients and tastes healthier and less greasy.
This recipe is also less expensive to make at home and the total cost of this dish is a fraction of the price in restaurants. It is an excellent recipe for large parties and events.
Shrimp and Broccoli Ingredients
This authentic Chinese stir-fry recipe only calls for four ingredients:
- Cooking oil
Making brown sauce only requires:
- Soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Sesame oil
- Corn starch and water
- Ground white pepper.
How to Make Shrimp and Broccoli?
First, combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl, whisk well and set aside.
Second, boil the broccoli florets for 1 minute and immediately transfer them to ice-cold water. Drain and set aside.
Finally, stir-fry the shrimp until cooked through, then add broccoli and sauce. Stir continuously for 1 minute until the sauce thickens. Dish out and serve immediately.
For the best result, please follow my tips below:
- Setting the boiled broccoli florets in ice-cold water for a few minutes will help to retain a bright green color after cooking and make them crunchier.
- Cooking stir-fry dishes must be quick. DO NOT overcook, or the dish will be soggy. Once the shrimp is just cooked through, add broccoli and sauce, and give a quick toss for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- The sauce should be light and not sticky. Give the sauce a little bit of stir before pouring it into the wok to prevent getting clumps in the final dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use either fresh or frozen shrimp. If using frozen shrimp, thaw them in cold water and pat them dry with kitchen paper towels before cooking.
Yes, this dish is absolutely healthy and delicious in a simple way. It benefits your body with a ton of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Plus, it is low in calories. It is the best dish to make for your family, both kids and adults love it.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 321 calories per serving.
- 1/2 lb broccoli florets
- 1/2 lb headless shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl, whisk well and set aside.
- Wash and rinse the broccoli with running water. Heat up a pot of water and bring it to a boil. Cook the broccoli florets for 1 minute and transfer them to a bowl of ice-cold water. Cool down for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Rinse and pat dry shrimp with paper towels. Heat the wok or skillet on high heat, and add the oil. When the oil is heated, add the garlic and stir-fry until aromatic or becomes light brown. Add the shrimp and stir a few times until cooked through or turned pink.
- Turn the heat to medium-low. (Give the sauce a little bit of stir before pouring it into the wok). Add broccoli and sauce, stir continuously for 1 minute until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat and dish out. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 321Total Fat 17.5gSaturated Fat 2.7gCholesterol 218mgSodium 769mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3.1gSugar 6.1gProtein 27.3g