I created and shot this stir-fry asparagus with shrimp recipe more than two months ago.
The pictures have been sitting on my computer desktop for months but I hadn’t had a chance to post it on Rasa Malaysia because I have lost the recipe!! Sigh. That’s basically the story of my life being a recipe developer and food blogger.
As I cook the dish, I have to scramble and quickly jot down the quantity of ingredients used, sauces, seasoning, etc., on something—a piece of paper, iPhone Notes, an envelop sitting on my counter top, or even a tear-out of newspaper, catalog, coupon, whatever I can grab a hold of at that particular point in time.
And then, as soon as the Stir-fry Asparagus with Shrimp is done, I dash out to my garage where I keep all of photography props, quickly set up the props and plate the dish, and grab my DSLR hoping that I can still manage to capture the freshness of the dish before it turns “stale” on the photos.
After some serious clicking, including climbing up and down a chair for the best top-down shots, I sit down and take a breather, and then I clear out my cluttered and messy kitchen counter top, tossing away all the unused ingredients, AS WELL AS the paper which I jotted down the recipe.
Down they go into the trash can, and the recipe that I have been working on for the past hour or so, poof, gone forever.
That was what happened to me on this asparagus with shrimp recipe. I had to make the dish again, and then repeat the chores mentioned above, to share the recipe here with you.
Tough. Not. Easy. As. You. Think. And I am sure most of you thought that I have it easy…just whip up something in a breeze and then miracle happens and you see the recipes on Rasa Malaysia.
When buying asparagus, always try to choose the most tender ones with thinner stems, which have less fibers. If you have time, peel off the outer skin of the stems using a peeler.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 200 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 6-8 oz. asparagus
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- 6-8 medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3-4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Some sliced carrots
- Cut 1-inch off the bottom stems of the asparagus. You may peel the skin of the stems with a peeler (optional step). Rinse the asparagus with water and drain the water dry. Mix the Sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat up a wok and add the cooking oil until it’s hot. Add ginger, stir-fry until light brown or aromatic. Add shrimp, mushroom, carrot and do a few quick stirs until the shrimp becomes half-cooked.
- Add the asparagusinto the wok and stir quickly. Transfer the Sauce mixture into the wok and continue to stir-fry until the sauce thickens. By then, the asparagus should be nicely cooked.
- Dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 200Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 45mgSodium 393mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 6g