I love squid but I hate cooking squid. There is just too much work when it comes to squid—peeling off the membrane, removing the ink, and so forth.
I had so many “accidents” when the squid ink squirted all over my clothes and face, and it really wasn’t pleasant, and I would smell like a squid no matter how hard I cleaned off the stain.
So, as much as I love squid, I hardly make it at home, unless I really have a serious craving for it.
After the confinement, I have been on a binge of eating seafood, so I bought some squid, took the time to clean them (no accident this time!) and made three-cup squid, or 三杯小卷, a popular Taiwanese recipe that I love. (Check out my three-cup chicken recipe.)
The three-cup squid was fabulous, and I think I really should be making more squid dishes at home. ;)
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 195 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 12 oz (340 g) cleaned squid, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 cloves garlic, skin peeled
- 6 slices peeled ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sweet soy sauce, (Kecap Manis)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or Chinese rice wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 teaspoon water
- 1 red chili, seeded and sliced
- 1 bunch Thai basil leaves
- Clean the squid thoroughly, cut into pieces, rinse with cold water. Heat up a pot of water and bring it to boil. Blanch the squid for about 20 seconds. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up a claypot on high heat and add the sesame oil. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until aromatic. Add in squid and do a few quick stirs. Add soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and cornstarch mixture. Stir the squid to coat well with the sauce. Add red chili, Thai basil leaves, stir to combine well. Dish out and serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 195Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 198mgSodium 538mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 15g