Bok Choy and Chicken
Bok choy is a healthy Chinese cabbage with mildly bitter white stems and green leaves. They are many ways to cook them, for example: garlic bok choy.
If you go to a Chinese restaurant, the server would usually recommend two or three types of vegetable stir-fry: plain, garlic or with oyster sauce. You choose your cooking styles and then the the type of vegetable you like.
Protein like chicken, shrimp or pork is commonly added to vegetables. This Chinese Bok Choy Chicken recipe is basically a stir-fried vegetable dish with chicken.
How to Cook Bok Choy like Chinese Restaurants?
There are two important cooking techniques and tips when it comes to vegetables:
- Do not kill your vegetables, they are already dead. A perfectly cooked bok choy should appear crisp and crunchy.
- The color of the cooked vegetables should be green and not purple. The stems and leafy green should be glossy.
Bok Choy Recipe Ideas
I love the combination of bok choy and chicken, but you can use a variety of ingredients for delicious recipe ideas.
- Use shrimp, such as baby bok choy with shrimp.
- Mushroom like this garlic mushroom bok choy recipe.
- Fish cake or sliced fish balls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it Safe to Eat Raw Bok Choy?
Yes, after rinsing with cold water to remove the dirt trapped inside the stems and leaves, you can eat the vegetables. It’s completely safe.
Is it a Superfood?
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s list of 41 powerhouse fruits and vegetables, it ranks number 2 under the label “Chinese cabbage.” It’s a superfood loaded with vitamin C, anti-oxidants such as Sulforaphane and Carotenoids.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 188 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with other main dishes. For a wholesome Chinese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 6 oz boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into thin pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 oz bok choy (sliced into pieces)
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced into pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients in Marinade for 10 minutes. Combine all the ingredients in the Sauce in a small bowl, stir to blend well.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a wok until the oil becomes hot. Add the chicken and quickly stir-fry until the surface of the chicken turn opaque or white. Dish out and set aside. This step seals in the juice in the chicken so the texture is tender and vevelty smooth.
- Heat up the remaining oil in the wok until hot. Add the ginger into the wok and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the chicken back into the wok and do a few quick stirs. Add in the bok choy and stir to combine well. Transfer the sauce into the wok and continue to stir-fry until the bok choy is cooked but remain crisp. Do not overcook.
- Dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 188Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 1.8gCholesterol 54mgSodium 97mgCarbohydrates 2.5gFiber 1.1gSugar 1.3gProtein 19.7g