Chinese Stir-Fried Eggs and Tomatoes
Tomato Eggs is a humble Chinese recipe that is often served at home. Called 蕃茄炒蛋 or 西红柿炒蛋, tomatoes and eggs stir-fry are very popular in China and Taiwan.
To make the dish. you need a few basic ingredients such as eggs, tomatoes, salt, sugar, sesame oil and white pepper. It is basically scrambled eggs with tomatoes, stir-fried in a wok, with a red tomato sauce.
Tips on How to Cook Tomato Eggs?
As simple as it sounds, this recipe is hard to master. I have tasted many recipes that are not properly cooked; the dish is either too runny, watery, or simply overcooked.
- To make perfect scrambled eggs, you have to keep stirring the beaten egg in a back and forth motion, using a spatula. This will ensure that the eggs will form into nice and chunky pieces, just like the picture above.
- Timing is important as you don’t want runny eggs or overcooked eggs. As soon as the scrambled eggs are set, turn off the heat and set side.
- Use juicy and ripe tomatoes. I recommend Campari tomatoes as they are juicier, sweeter and less acidic.
- Combine the scrambled eggs and the red tomato sauce. Do not overcook.
This is a great Chinese recipe that you should add to your cooking repertoire. It’s very easy and quick to make, and absolutely wholesome, nutritious and perfect with rice or noodles. Below is my easy recipe, please try it out.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with steamed rice. For a wholesome Chinese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 174 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- Break the eggs into a bowl and use a pair of chopsticks or a fork to beat the eggs. Add salt, sesame oil, Shaoxing wine and ground white pepper. Beat and stir to mix well.
- Heat up a wok with 2 tablespoons cooking oil. Add the egg mixture into the wok and use your spatula to spread the eggs. Keep stirring until the eggs form lumps. Gently break the lumps into smaller pieces. As soon as the eggs are cooked, dish out and set aside.
- Clean the wok and heat it up again with 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Add the tomato wedges into the wok and do a few quick stirs. Add the sugar and water into the tomatoes. Cover it with the lid and let cook for about 30 seconds. Transfer the eggs into the tomatoes, stir-fry for 30 seconds, dish out and serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 174Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 163mgSodium 114mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 6g