How to Make Fried Rice?
Fried rice is one of the most popular Chinese food ever.
Imagine hot-off-the-wok fluffy stir fried rice with ingredients such as chicken, shrimp, egg, pork, mixed vegetables with fried rice seasoning of soy sauce, fish sauce and oyster sauce. It’s delicious!
In this tutorial, I am going to teach you how to make easy fried rice with simple ingredients, just like Chinese restaurants. My fried rice recipe is the best in the world!
I will also teach you how to use up leftover steamed rice and make it into an appetizing, cheap, and flavorful meal for the entire family!
Fried Rice Ingredients
You can customize the ingredients based on what you have in the fridge.
- Leftover steamed rice.
- Minced garlic.
- Protein: chicken, pork, shrimp, egg. You can use either one, or you can use a combination of any of them. It’s totally up to you and what you like.
- Frozen mixed vegetables: carrots, green beans and corns.
- Seasonings: soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, ground white pepper and salt.
- Do not use fresh steamed rice as the rice grains have too much moisture content and too starchy for stir fry. The rice will clump and stick together in lumps.
- Use leftover steamed rice, or “overnight” rice. It means rice that had been left overnight in the refrigerator as the rain grains are drier and have lost the moisture content.
- The next time you dine out at Chinese restaurants or takeout restaurants, ask for an extra serving of steamed white rice. Bring it home and keep in the refrigerator. The next day, you have the perfect “overnight” or leftover rice which is great for making this recipe.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 395 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served alone or with a soup or appetizer. For a wholesome Chinese restaurant style meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
Fried Rice Recipe
Fried Rice - delicious and easy fried rice recipe with rice, egg, chicken, shrimp and mixed vegetables. So much better and healthier than Chinese restaurants or takeouts!
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 4 oz shrimp, peeled, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 12 oz leftover steamed white rice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt to taste
Heat up a wok or pan with the oil. Add the garlic and stir fry until aromatic, follow by the chicken, shrimp, and mixed vegetables. Stir fry until the chicken and shrimp are half cooked. Add in the rice and stir well with the ingredients. Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, white pepper and continue to stir the fried rice for a couple of minutes.
Using the spatula, push the rice to the side of the wok and make a "well" in the middle of the fried rice. Pour the beaten eggs in the "well." Wait for 30 seconds and then cover the eggs with the fried rice. Leave it for 30 seconds to 1 minute and continue to stir-fry so the eggs form into small pieces and mix well with the fried rice. Add salt to taste and do some quick stirs, dish out and serve hot.