Thai Crab Fried Rice – Crab fried rice is a tasty Thai-style fried rice dish with rice, eggs, and crab meat. Easy crab fried rice recipe that anyone can make at home.
I have been craving for Thai crab fried rice for a while.
Whenever I visit Bangkok, I always head out to Yaowarat, or Chinatown of Bangkok.
There are plenty of great Thai-Chinese food, and one of the dishes I enjoy a lot is crab fried rice—simple Chinese-style fried rice with crab meat, served with nam pla prik, or cut chilies in fish sauce, lime wedges, cucumber slices and tomatoes.
I just love it.
While I was grocery shopping yesterday, the store had just put out some Dungeness crab for sale.
I immediately scored one of them and decided to make crab fried rice.
Yes, a truly delicious crab fried rice should be made with freshly picked crab meat.
While frozen crab meat is fine, I just wanted to make the best dish possible.
So, I took my own sweet time boiling the crab, chilled it in the fridge, and then patiently picked out all the meat from the shells.
The end result was, as you can see from my pictures, absolutely rewarding.
There were a lot of crab meat in my crab fried rice, just like the way I like it.
The sweet and briny crab meat infused the fried rice with its natural sweet taste, so a little light soy sauce and fish sauce are what I needed to season the fried rice.
Another similar recipe that I like is crab noodles, a dish I had shared here a few years ago.
If you love crab and fried rice, this is the dish to make.
Aroy mak or very delicious in Thai.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 621 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups tightly packed overnight rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 - 6 oz (115g-170g) freshly picked crab meat, preferred or frozen crab meat
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 3 scallions, cut into small rounds
- Cilantro leaves, for garnishing
- Lime wedges
- Cucumber slices
- Tomato wedges
Nam Pla Prik:
- 3 bird's eye chilies, Thai chilies, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Loosen the overnight rice with your hand or a spoon so there are no lumps. Combine the cut chilies and fish sauce in a small saucer. Set aside.
- Heat up a wok on high heat. When the wok is fully heated, add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is fully heated, add the garlic and stir-fry until light brown or aromatic. Add the rice into the wok and use the spatula to toss and stir the rice around. Add the light soy sauce and fish sauce, continue to stir and combine well with the rice.
- Use your spatula and push all the rice to one side of the wok. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in the wok and add in the beaten eggs. Leave the eggs to cook and set a little bit. Use the spatula to fold the rice on top of the eggs. Wait for about 1 minute, and then continue to stir and break the eggs into smaller pieces and make sure that they are nicely distributed in the rice.
- Stir-in the crab meat and continue to stir-fry. The crab meat might make the fried rice slightly wet. Continue to stir-fry the fried rice until the rice is slightly toasted and fluffy. Add the white pepper powder and scallions, stir a few times, dish out and garnish the crab fried rice with cilantro leaves, and serve with lime wedges, cucumber slices, tomato wedges, and the cut chilies in fish sauce.
- I picked the crab meat from a 1.5-lb Dungeness crab, which yields 6 oz crab meat.
- Please use overnight rice, meaning the rice that is cooked a night before and left in the fridge. This will ensure that the fried rice is not "wet" but fluffy as overnight rice has lesser moisture content.
- For this recipe, use light soy sauce, or soy sauce which is lighter in color. I recommend Healthy Boy brand Thai light soy sauce. Darker soy sauce such as Japanese soy sauce or Chinese soy sauce will not yield the best result. If you can't find Healthy Boy brand soy sauce, you can use Taiwanese Kimlan brand light soy sauce.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 621Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 15gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 163mgSodium 2596mgCarbohydrates 153gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 22g