Thai Crab Fried Rice – Crab fried rice is a tasty Thai-style fried rice dish with rice, eggs, and crab meat. Easy crab fried rice recipe that anyone can make at home.
I have been craving for Thai crab fried rice for a while.
It’s one of those dishes that I would always get whenever I go to Thailand, and I go there almost every year, especially to Bangkok.
Whenever I visit Bangkok, I always head out to Yaowarat, or Chinatown of Bangkok.
There are plenty of great Thai-Chinese food, and one of the dishes I enjoy a lot is crab fried rice—simple Chinese-style fried rice with crab meat, served with nam pla prik, or cut chilies in fish sauce, lime wedges, cucumber slices and tomatoes.
I just love it.
While I was grocery shopping yesterday, the store had just put out some Dungeness crab for sale.
I immediately scored one of them and decided to make crab fried rice.
Yes, a truly delicious crab fried rice should be made with freshly picked crab meat.
While frozen crab meat is fine, I just wanted to make the best dish possible.
So, I took my own sweet time boiling the crab, chilled it in the fridge, and then patiently picked out all the meat from the shells.
The end result was, as you can see from my pictures, absolutely rewarding.
There were a lot of crab meat in my crab fried rice, just like the way I like it.
The sweet and briny crab meat infused the fried rice with its natural sweet taste, so a little light soy sauce and fish sauce are what I needed to season the fried rice.
Another similar recipe that I like is crab noodles, a dish I had shared here a few years ago.
While I love whole crab, for example: my mom’s chili crab, crab noodle soup (crab bee hoon), Singapore-style chili crab, eating dishes made with crab meat is so much hassle-free.
If you love crab and fried rice, this is the dish to make.
Aroy mak or very delicious in Thai.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 621 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Thai Crab Fried Rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic (finely minced)
- 2 cups tightly packed overnight rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 4 - 6 oz. freshly picked crab meat, preferred or frozen crab meat
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 3 scallions (cut into small rounds)
- Cilantro leaves (for garnishing)
- Lime wedges
- Cucumber slices
- Tomato wedges
Nam Pla Prik:
- 3 bird's eye chilies (Thai chilies, cut into small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Loosen the overnight rice with your hand or a spoon, so there are no lumps. Combine the cut chilies and fish sauce in a small saucer. Set aside.
- Heat up a wok on high heat. When the wok is fully heated, add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is fully heated, add the garlic and stir-fry until light brown or aromatic. Add the rice into the wok and use the spatula to toss and stir the rice around. Add the light soy sauce and fish sauce, continue to stir and combine well with the rice.
- Use your spatula and push all the rice to one side of the wok. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in the wok and add in the beaten eggs. Leave the eggs to cook and set a little bit. Use the spatula to fold the rice on top of the eggs. Wait for about 1 minute, and then continue to stir and break the eggs into smaller pieces and make sure that they are nicely distributed in the rice.
- Stir-in the crab meat and continue to stir-fry. The crab meat might make the fried rice slightly wet. Continue to stir-fry the fried rice until the rice is slightly toasted and fluffy. Add the white pepper powder and scallions, stir a few times, dish out and garnish the crab fried rice with cilantro leaves, and serve with lime wedges, cucumber slices, tomato wedges, and the cut chilies in fish sauce.
- I picked the crab meat from a 1.5-lb Dungeness crab, which yields 6 oz crab meat.
- Please use overnight rice, meaning the rice that is cooked a night before and left in the fridge. This will ensure that the fried rice is not "wet" but fluffy as overnight rice has lesser moisture content.
- For this recipe, use light soy sauce, or soy sauce which is lighter in color. I recommend Healthy Boy brand Thai light soy sauce. Darker soy sauce such as Japanese soy sauce or Chinese soy sauce will not yield the best result. If you can't find Healthy Boy brand soy sauce, you can use Taiwanese Kimlan brand light soy sauce.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
What kind of rice is best for this?
I like jasmine/white rice for this.
How is the fish sauce with chili slivers used. Is it poured on the rice when its served?
Optional, as a condiment.
Years ago, my friend brought a bottle of light soya sauce which to me, the best and most delicious. I can’t remember the brand. He bought it from the state of Johore. Will you be able to help please ?
Malaysia produces the best soy sauce. Any brand is great.
Can I use jumbo lump crab meat?
Yes you can!