Delicious Korean Fried Rice
Whenever I dine out at Korean restaurants, I always ask for extra kimchi to pack home. Whenever I have extra kimchi, I would make kimchi fried rice, which is one of the best fried rice in the world!
Yes, I have fried rice syndrome. I just love the idea of stir frying rice in a hot wok or skillet, with various ingredients mixed in. It’s an Asian comfort food at I enjoy a lot, always mouthwatering and appetizing.
What Is Kimchi Fried Rice?
Kimchi fried rice recipe is one of the most popular Korean recipes. Many people love Korean food. This recipe is quick and easy and takes only 15 minutes from start to finish.
The core ingredients are kimchi, steamed rice, but you can also add spam, pork belly, bacon and an egg. The egg is usually fried sunny side up and served on top of the fried rice.
For me, I prefer it plain with just kimchi and rice. Now, how do you make it? I will share my tips and techniques with you below.
Working With Kimchi
If you buy bottled kimchi from the store, it’s wet with an orange liquid. The liquid is actually the moisture content or juice from napa cabbage, the main vegetable used in kimchi.
During the fermentation process, the moisture content seeps out from the napa baggage.
To prep, first you need to squeeze the liquid out of the kimchi before you cook the fried rice. The best fried rice should toasty and dry, not wet and lumpy.
The reddish color and the pungent kimchi taste and aromas beckon. As kimchi is fully fermented, you can freeze Kimchi fried rice for up to a week, making it a perfect dish for meal prep.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Healthy?
Yes this is a healthy and nutritious meal as kimchi is one of the healthiest foods with lots of benefits. It’s a great source of probiotics and promotes digestion.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 233 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served alone or with a main dish or appetizers. For a wholesome Korean meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup kimchi, cut into small pieces + 1 tablespoon kimchi juice
- 2 cups overnight steamed white rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1 stalk scallion, cut into small rounds
- Heat up a wok or skillet on high heat. Add the oil. When the oil is fully heated, sauté the garlic and onion until aromatic. Add the kimchi and do a few quick stirs before adding the rice. Stir to combine well.
- Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper and scallion. Stir a few times to blend with the rice. Dish out and serve immediately.
- You can fry an egg sunny side up and serve the egg on top of the Kimchi fried rice.
I like my Kimchi Fried Rice spicy with lots of kimchi. Cut down on the kimchi if you like a milder taste. You can fry an egg, sunny side up and serve on top of the Kimchi Fried Rice.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 233Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 8gSodium 338mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 4g