This is a cold and wet winter with most days being gloomy and dark.
I am not sure about you, when it’s cold, all I wanted to eat is spicy food.
The spicier the better.
Recently, I am obsessed with Korean food now and I wanted to learn more about Korean cooking.
This kimchi ramen is my new favorite.
I love having quick ramen for lunch.
I don’t use any of the seasoning packages in the ramen, instead I make the soup base and add my own ingredients and seasonings.
Imagine this bowl of steaming and piping hot kimchi ramen on a wet, gloomy and cold winter day.
Yep, my way of fighting winter blues.
For kimchi, I wanted to share a buying tip with you.
Don’t buy the bottled and mass-produced kimchi.
Buy it from your favorite Korean restaurant as they usually make them fresh in the restaurant.
Ask the waiter or cashier, they will most likely sell their kimchi to you.
If you love kimchi, don’t miss out my kimchi fried rice recipe.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 149 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 packs instant ramen
- 1 cup kimchi, with juice, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Korean hot pepper paste, Gochujang
- 1 teaspoon Korean chili powder, Gochugaru
- 4 oz. (115g) mushrooms, white button mushroom, buna shimeji or shiitake
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and then lower to a bubbling simmer. Poach the eggs by dropping each egg gently in the water and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Make sure the water covers the eggs. Remove the eggs with a strainer. Set aside.
- Heat up the same pot and add the chicken broth. Bring it to boil. Add the kimchi, pepper paste, chili powder and ramen. When the ramen is about half done, add the mushroom and sesame oil. Add salt to taste. Transfer the noodles to two bowls and top with the poached eggs and scallions. Serve immediately.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 149Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 163mgSodium 1828mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 9g