Authentic Japchae Recipe
Japchae (also spelled as chap chae) is my favorite Korean noodle dish. I love Korean recipes, they are healthy, spicy and absolutely delicious.
In this recipe, you will learn how to make authentic and simple Japchae.
The Ingredients for Japchae Noodles
I love the springy and chewy texture of Japchae noodles, which are made from sweet potato starch.
- Sweet potato noodles
- Vegetables such as spinach, carrots and scallions
- Mushrooms such as shiitake mushrooms
- Seasonings such as soy sauce and sugar
This dish is vegan and vegetarian-friendly.
How long do you soak the sweet potato noodles before cooking? Many readers ask me this question. Here are my tips:
- Sweet potato noodles are fatter and tougher, so soaking in water won’t get you the desired results. I always boil the noodles in hot boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and cut into shorter lengths.
- Traditionally, the noodles are mixed together with the other ingredients by hand. For ease of cooking, I always make the noodles in a skillet.
- For extra flavors, you can add beef bulgogi or Korean fish cakes to the dish.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 396 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome Korean meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 8 oz sweet potato noodles
- 4 oz spinach
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small carrot, cut into thin strips
- 1 stalk scallion, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon toasted white sesame
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Cook the sweet potato noodles in a large pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain the water and rinse the noodles under cold running water. Cut the noodles using a pair of scissors into about 6-inch lengths. Set aside.
- Heat up a pot of water and bring it to boil. Blanch the spinach until they are wilted, about 1 minute. Drain the water and rinse the spinach under cold running water. Form the spinach into a ball and squeeze it to discard the remaining water. Cut the spinach ball into half.
- Heat up the oil in a skillet or wok and add the garlic, onion, mushroom, and carrot and cook for about two minutes. Add the scallion and stir-fry for another minute. Turn the heat to low and add the noodles and spinach into the skillet or wok, follow by the sesame oil, the Sauce, and salt to taste. Stir to combine well. Dish out, sprinkle with the sesame seeds, and served at room temperature.
The japchae noodles can be found at Asian supermarkets. They are usually labelled as sweet potato noodles.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 396Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gSodium 1388mgCarbohydrates 83gFiber 4gSugar 13gProtein 5g