Delicious Fried Rice
There are different kinds of fried rice recipes, and one of the best ones is made with spam. This is not the spam you get in your email inbox, but the “spiced ham” or canned pre-cooked meat that is very popular here in the United States and around the world.
Everyone knows that Spam is not a healthy food but I like it. My late mother used to make spam with fried eggs. I also like it in my instant noodles, sandwiches, but mostly in stir-fried rice with cubes of spam, mixed vegetables, rice, and eggs.
It’s so easy to make, filling and tasty. It also makes a quick lunch.
How to Make Fried Rice
As an award-winning Chinese cookbook author for Easy Chinese Recipes, I want to share the following tips and techniques with you so you can make the best fried rice recipe in the whole world!
- Use overnight steamed rice that had been kept in the fridge. The grain of overnight rice is drier and not starchy and sticky like freshly made steamed rice. This will ensure that your fried rice is soft and fluff and not lumpy.
- The next time you dine out at Chinese restaurants or takeouts, ask for extra steamed rice to go with your order. Keep the rice in the refrigerator and the next morning, you will have overnight that is perfect for this recipe.
- Break up the lumpy overnight steamed rice with the back of the spoon or fork.
- All ingredients should be cut into uniform pieces: spam and mixed vegetables. This will make sure that everything cooks evenly.
- Cook the eggs before you fry the rice. This will ensure that the eggs are formed into nice and regular pieces.
- Use a wok (preferred) or a skillet on high heat. Keep stirring and frying the rice in a back and forth motion with a spatul, flipping and tossing with the ingredients.
What Seasonings to Use?
The seasonings for frying rice are made of simple pantry ingredients:
- Soy sauce.
- Fish sauce.
- Sesame oil.
- Ground white pepper.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 480 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served alone or with a main dish or side dishes. For a wholesome Chinese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3 cups overnight steamed rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz. (170 g) spam, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thaw and defrost
- salt, to taste
- Break up the lumpy overnight rice with the back of the spoon or fork, or with your hand. Mix all the ingredients for the Seasonings in a small bowl.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a wok over high heat and cook the eggs first. Use the spatula to break the eggs into small pieces. Set aside. Reheat the wok with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and stir-fry the garlic until aromatic. Add the spam pieces and stir-fry until light brown before adding the mixed vegetables. Stir to combine well.
- Add the rice into the wok and use the spatula to stir-fry continuously until the all the ingredients are well blended. Add the Seasonings into the wok, blending it well with the rice and ingredients. Return the cooked eggs into the wok and combine with the rice. Dish out and serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 480Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 153mgSodium 1222mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 16g